RSLogix 500 Server is busy action cannot be completed error

cherztreetop9

This error is inconsistent. Most of the time I try to open RSLogix500 it gives me the error along the lines of "Server busy, action cannot be completed because the other program is busy..."

Apparently this is a common problem but the solutions I've found didn't do any good for me. This doesn't always happen, either. Right now I can use RSLogix without an issue, but I know this error is going to come up again. Can anyone help me out?

I had the very same trouble this week after installing Factory Talk View ME 7.0. After 4 calls to Rockwell and them sending me a dozen patch files we got the issue resolved. Did you install anything new?

I actually just installed the whole package two days ago, straight from the disk. Just followed the full instructions on the installation, so I'm definitely new to all this.

What exactly is the whole package you installed? What was existing? Operating system?
The more info you give the forum people the better responses you will get.
Right now all we know is that you installed "the whole package" on a computer.

I'm having this exact problem. The previous person in my position apparently had a work-around, but he didn't tell anyone.
I'll post if I figure out a solution.
Thanks all!

Solution!

If you go to your start menu, Rockwell Software, RSLinx, then RSLinx Classic Backup Restore Utility, you can reset your RSLinx to default, which apparently fixes this problem (it did for me, and the guy who helped me says it's how he fixes them and he has 28 years of experience on PLCs).

Hope this helps anyone else with this problem!

I just waited a few minutes and it went away. Also, I shut down RSLinx before starting up my RSLogix 500. I'm running it in XPMode on a Windows 7 Machine.