Logix5k Battery Low/Battery OK

rootboy

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've got a bit of a conundrum here where we monitor the state of the battery in the PLC by looking at bit 10 in the Minor faults.

It's reporting that it is "not low" while the "Battery OK" icon in ControlLogix5k says that it is not OK. Any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

Wonder.png

Thanks guys, that was going to be my next step, to have one of our electricians yank a battery in a PLC and see if the fault sprang up.

As an aside, I used Archie's AdvancedHMI to poll all eighty of our PLCs in our Paint shop for dead batteries. Works great. :)

Thanks again! :)

Just tell them to not accidentally power the PLC down with the battery out! It does seems strange to me that most other LEDs are red/green and that one is off/red. Maybe there's a method to that madness.

AdvancedHMI is pretty sweet. I find all kinds of usefulness with it, and VB in general.

Just tell them to not accidentally power the PLC down with the battery out!

Well, yeah... :)

Besides the last knucklehead that shorted a supply while the PLC was running was, uh, me. :)

It does seems strange to me that most other LEDs are red/green and that one is off/red. Maybe there's a method to that madness.

AdvancedHMI is pretty sweet. I find all kinds of usefulness with it, and VB in general.

Yeah, that's weird, not as bad as GE's use of red LEDs to indicate that things are going okay though.

And I've got a couple of AdHMI apps running here. The battery monitor one (which only needs to be run every quarter or so), and one that reads the temperatures of the heat exchangers. One of our Process Engineers wanted a way to log the data once a day, and I wanted a way that wouldn't involve me doing it more than once, ever.

I had it working with RSLinx, but after the grace period expired and our librarian declined to provide a license for RSLinx for a once-a-day reading, it was time to try out AdHMI.

I had to edit the dispose sub to get AdHMI to truly dispose of an entry, but other than that, it was smooth sailing.

And thanks again for the LED lesson guys!