plc5 and rslinx

Charles_Adams

Hello all,

I currently work for a company that is using plc5/40e's. 5 of them in fact 1 per machine. We are currently pulling live data from these plc's via rslinx into excel. I use the formula "=rslinx|nama2!n11:XXX'" to retrieve my data. I do this on about 6 different sheets live and 3 more on the 8 hour shift change. I also have a OSI server running ( because corporate thought it was needed ) pulling about 400 live tags every second. I pull integers, floats and counters. not writing anything back, just all read.

What is the Data overhead for these older plc5's??

Im noticing here in the past 2 weeks that i am getting odd ( not right ) numbers and sometimes i dont get the right numbers until about 30 minutes after the storage drop is made in the plc. just trying to figure out my bottlekneck here, i know the plc5 is hard set on 10mbit hdx, and im getting alot of packet RX loss on my switch from the plc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
It is always beneficial to consolidate the data being transferred into contiguous blocks and to stagger the transfers where possible. This might mean adding logic to move counter elements to integers or COPy blocks of integers to spots in one big file that gets read or messaged.
I believe you can adjust the poll rate of the topic (in RSLinx topic config.) being used by your Excel sheet to minimize its impact as well.