Cat5e in existing conduit

curlyandshemp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an application where I need to run Cat5e cable from a Rice Lake 920i weigh indicator to an ML1400, about 150' apart.

There is an existing 1" rigid conduit with only 2 'blue hose' cables ( RIO & DH+ ) running from the same location and ending up in same destination. Thinking is to route the new Cat5e cable through this existing conduit. Local sparky insists not an issue to run new cable.

Looking through the Ethernet/IP media planning guide, I cannot find any documentation to support or forbid such a plan.

Anyone see any issues with the above plan?

No problem whatsoever. DH+ and RIO don't carry enough current to possibly interfere with Ethernet signals in an adjacent cable.

IMO, what induce noise into other cable is large current carrying load.
RIO and dh+ aren't and it should be similar to having few ethernet cable into 1 conduit.

I may agree with sparky on this vs the cost of a new conduit. If you are afraid, you may use a cat6 with better protection instead of 5e too