Analog sensor to VFD help

loundeb2

Hi,
I have a Banner Q45U analog ultrasonic sensor that I need to use on an Automation Direct Durapulse VF drive. The drives analog input common is isolated from the digital common and according to the banner wiring diagram, it refers to a "load" between the black and blue wires, which the blue is also for power supply. How could I make this work?
Thank You,
Lou

Connect the same supply which connects to the banner's blue wire (DC-) to the ACM terminal of the drive. Connect the Banner's black wire (0-10 VDC output) to the AI1 (0-10 volt) terminal of the drive.

You will have to determine the appropriate setting of the drive and the Banner unit.

External power supply needed

You are going to need an external power supply for the sensor as it requires 100 mA of current and the drive can only supply 20 mA of current. Connect the sensor output and the power supply common to the drive analog inputs.

Thanks for the replies. I had the supply COM jumped to the ACOM and the black go to the AI1, set parameter to 0-10V, but when the sensor senses, it "latches" on and even after removing the object, it remains running and the sensor starts acting funny (cannot program, etc.), until I cycle power. I have a 60W supply for the sensor and a relay.

Highland,
It is a Banner Q45U long range analog sonic sensor. The relay is controlled by the drives RO1(relay) output. I think the sensor is "latching" on due to the way it is acting after sensing an object.
Lou

It's definitely an analog sensor. It has 0-10V on the black wire and 4-20mA on the white wire. Brown is +15-30VDC and Blue is negative for the supply and the signal. I will get the full PN when I get back on site.

are you apply the ultrasonic sensor on a Tank ?

if yes you need take more careful installation step on the tank size / liquid that used.

what the main function using analog output?

post a sketch of electrical dwg your sensor to VFD.

Hi,
I'm not using the drives analog output. I have +24VDC power supply going to the Banner brown wire, the Banner black wire going to the drive Analog Input #1, the Banner blue wire going to the power supply -24VDC AND the Analog Common. Maybe a resistor in the circuit? The drive analog input normally uses a 5kohm potentiometer.

An analog sensor can't latch on. Please explain further.

I feel since the drive digital and analog commons are isolated from each other, the problem exists when they are jumped together. When I isolate the sensor from the drive, it operates fine(0-10V) output, when I wire to the drive, the drive remains off, when an object is detected, the drive turns on and goes to full speed and the sensor output stops varying with object distance, and the programming button doesn't operate. I then have to cycle power to "reset" it.