Can someone tell me if im on the right path?

dave dempsey

I got some help from my journeyman today and i want to know if anyone can see if what i have is going to work or not. This will be ran with rslogix on an air driven simulator. I will include the desription, my version of the power diagram, my version of the ladder logic and a picture of the simulator if it helps. Thank you!!

lab2.jpg LAB 2.jpg LAB2 POWER.jpg LLL.jpg

I think you're on the right path.... Comments are a wonderful thing ... use them whenever you can

How is the grinder with no dwell going to energize the grinder solenoid ?

the pneumatic drawing of your cylinders shows the cylinders' pistons in the extended position when the solenoid shows the pistons should be in the retracted position and your switches are made by the rod which is in the retracted position... I guess that's being kinda picky, and really has nothing to do with the subject at hand ... so why did I put it in here??? I don't know. I guess to act like I knew something :/)

starting with the first rung as being rung 0, in rung 4 the px 1 will allow either the grinder with dwell or the grinder with no dwell to energize sol 5

grinder with dwell when it is NOT true ....I only see one output to energize sol 5 which I assume operates your grinder

either the grinder with dwell being NOT true, or the grinder with no dwell can energize the output for solenoid 5, depending upon the state of the counter1.dn ...

the only way the grinder with no dwell can energize sol 5, is if the grinder WITH dwell is true... is that what you want? I dunno ... that's what I'm askin

Last edited:
the pneumatic drawing of your cylinders shows the cylinders' pistons in the extended position when the solenoid shows the pistons should be in the retracted position and your switches are made by the rod which is in the retracted position... I guess that's being kinda picky, and really has nothing to do with the subject at hand ... so why did I put it in here??? I don't know. I guess to act like I knew something :/)

starting with the first rung as being rung 0, in rung 4 the px 1 will allow either the grinder with dwell or the grinder with no dwell to energize sol 5

grinder with dwell when it is NOT true ....I only see one output to energize sol 5 which I assume operates your grinder

either the grinder with dwell being NOT true, or the grinder with no dwell can energize the output for solenoid 5, depending upon the state of the counter1.dn ...

the only way the grinder with no dwell can energize sol 5, is if the grinder WITH dwell is true... is that what you want? I dunno ... that's what I'm askin

I was really banging my head on this lab. its an easy one too. my instructor sat down and helped me with this one. it may take me a few tries but I eventually get it! I added a copy of my final successful version! thanks for all the help.

In your LAB3GRINDSEQ.pdf, on Rung 003, if the GRINDER SOL_5 accidently gets sealed in by itself, then on Rung 1, PX-6 will be OFF and PX5 ON, so the INT RELAY 2 ALL_RESET can not go on to activate the ATD anti-tie down relay. The only thing now that prvents this is PX-1, but PX-1 could stick closed and hold the grinder solenoid ON.

Similarly, Rung 3 the GRINDER SOL_5 logic does not check to see if the EXT CLAMP SOL-1 is energized, so if the PX_1 proximity limit switch sticks closed (a common occurence in the real world), then your Grinder Solenoid will activate even if the part is not clamped! Don'r rely merely on 1 switch for safety when 2 or more checks are available.

Last edited:
personally, the fact that it make you think is what I like about it.
You said it takes you a couple tries.... meh... this isn't all that easy to satisfy all those specs. I think most of the stuff you would do in the field is easier than this. If you make a routine short, you can tell much more easily whether or not it's going to work. I think most of the time the people you're working for don't know what they want... there's a good reason that this stuff can be edited and a very good reason why it can be edited online.

The fact that you hooked onto this site is probably the best thing you will learn.
Although I'm not one of them, the folks here are the best source of help you could get.

Last edited: