Anyone Here At RS Tech Ed

The Plc Kid

Anyone here at RS Tech Ed? First day was pretty good. Looks like we are skipping V22 and going straight to V23 in a few weeks and V24 before the end of the year.

Lots of new features working with modular programming and code re-use.

Programs going from 100 routines to 1000 and you will be able to delete routines much easier. Pretty much right click and delete without removing tag associations and such.

There will be a logical view in addition to the view we have now in the controller organizer and you can structure it any way you want. Copying programs and routines will be easier and it will rename tags for you when doing something like designing line 1 then copy and paste for 2,3,4 etc.

My old colleagues are all there; Brian Rootham, Ahmik Hindman, Kyle Roge, and Bruce MacDougall. I saw a Facebook photo of them goofing off at Disney on Sunday.

I'm curious if RSTechEd will tell us any plans for the PanelView 5000, whether software or hardware related.

Having to delete all the tags and logic inside a Routine was a pain.. I'm glad that little usability issue will be addressed.

I know there was a thread the other day about alphabetizing Routine names and how to organize a very large program. Sounds like RSI is really listening to users.

I am here... My first time and I'm enjoying it very much. First day was pretty good. Ken, rumor I heard yesterday was don't expect anything on the PV5k until 2017. I hope that was a conservative date and it will be sooner, but it didn't sound that way.

Another year which I am at a customer site instead of RSTechEd...

Programs going from 100 routines to 1000 and you will be able to delete routines much easier. Pretty much right click and delete without removing tag associations and such...

Absolutely ******* fabulous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No more messing with task timings and priorities to "merge" tasks!!!

My old colleagues are all there; Brian Rootham, Ahmik Hindman, Kyle Roge, and Bruce MacDougall. I saw a Facebook photo of them goofing off at Disney on Sunday.

I'm curious if RSTechEd will tell us any plans for the PanelView 5000, whether software or hardware related.

Having to delete all the tags and logic inside a Routine was a pain.. I'm glad that little usability issue will be addressed.

I know there was a thread the other day about alphabetizing Routine names and how to organize a very large program. Sounds like RSI is really listening to users.

Ken

I have a "what's new in Logix" session coming up tomorrow so I will ask but thus far i have seen or heard any talk of the PV 5000 this year. They were not at Automation fair 2013 either but they were in 2012 as well as hands on at tech Ed prior to that and it did not seem like the product was that far off from launch then so something major must have happened.

The deleting of routines is a nice feature but also very powerful. Hopefully a new version of FT security is not far behind V24 so this feature can be locked down for our maintenance crew as I can see this going bad very quickly.

I've heard from our Rockwell Rep that the PV5000 will run some form of embedded Linux instead of Windows CE. That should prove to be interesting if that's actually true. I think it's a smart idea since Rockwell has gotten burned using proprietary technology that ends up either becoming abandoned by the manufacturer (Silverlight) or discontinued because the manufacturer went out of business (Wacom SQL). That said, I bet the leap to PV 5000 will make the conversion wall between FactoryTalk View 6.0 and 7.0 look like a speed bump. I am very excited about not having to use FTView anymore, but at the same time, Studio 5000 hogs resources quite a bit, so adding HMI programming into it makes me feel pessimistic about how it's actually going to work.

Last edited:
Well looks like PV 5000 is about 3 years down the road. There is PV Plus 7 hardware coming out soon though. It will work with FT View 8.0.

Logix V24 will be a Q3 or Q4 release.

Compact Guardlogix in the new L1, L2 and L3 series is on the roadmap.and so is 1756 safety IO.

The Brick style compactlogix will be discontinued I think December 2015.

Faceplate for E300 overloads are on the way also.

Studio 5000 hogs resources quite a bit, so adding HMI programming into it makes me feel pessimistic about how it's actually going to work.

With any luck they'll keep them from having to run concurrently.

I nearly walked out of a training class after seeing what WinCC Flexible does to workstation performance when running in conjunction with Step7.

Well looks like PV 5000 is about 3 years down the road. There is PV Plus 7 hardware coming out soon though. It will work with FT View 8.0.

Logix V24 will be a Q3 or Q4 release.

Compact Guardlogix in the new L1, L2 and L3 series is on the roadmap.and so is 1756 safety IO.

The Brick style compactlogix will be discontinued I think December 2015.

Faceplate for E300 overloads are on the way also.

Wait, you mean the CompactLogix 5370 L2 with embedded IO is being discontinued in 2015? These things are only a year or two old.

The reference to the "brick" controllers was almost certainly referring to the older style of 1769-L23xx controllers.

According to the RA Silver Series migration planning website, the 1769-L23-QBFC1B, 1769-L23E-QB1B, and 1769-L23E-QBFC1B controllers all have a final purchase availability date of June 30, 2016.

The modern CompactLogix (1769-L16, L18, and L24 families included) are new and active products.

Ahh that's a relief. I've never come across the older style L23's.

The 1769-L24ER-QBFC1B is what I've used on a project recently and was quite happy with the inbuilt IO offering and footprint.