Canadian CSA Panel Wiring - Ferrules/Tinning

nwboson

Just finished a control panel for a Canadian customer. When they received it, they told us it was wrong because all the internal wiring (mostly 24VDC control wiring) was not ferruled or tinned. News to me - always learning something new in this business.

Customer loaned us a copy of the Canadian code before we started, but I no longer have it. Is this something anyone else has run across? I have no way to look at the CSA code right now. Just curious:will I need to ferrule or tin every interconnect wire for any new CSA panel?

I'm sure there has to be numerous folks who speak Canadian on this forum...

I can't speak for Canadian standards, but we do that anyway on all of our panels here in the US and more of our customers are specifically requiring it as well.

Im Canadain, and build a lot of panels. I use tin/ferrels when requested, but have never been required to by CSA

I've built control panels for use in Canada, but didn't have them CSA approved. Same with control panels for use in the US, it is not always necessary to have a UL listing.

We specify that our panel builders use ferrules, but two of the panel builders we use put ferrules on all their stuff anyways.

If you do a lot of panels it is something that you may wish to consider as a standard procedure. I've never heard of anybody objecting to the presence of ferrules but I have heard of customers rejecting panels for the absence of them.

Once you are set up ferruling goes pretty fast. I recommend the WAGO crimper, its a high quality ratcheting crimper that makes a square crimp. A cheap crimper is just going to aggravate you. Automation Direct is probably one of the least expensive ferrule suppliers, but their ferrule crimpers suck.

Ferruling is much faster than tinning.

You are saying ferrules OR tinned, right? Never heard of anyone using ferrules AND tinning...

We do not have a spec that requires panel builders to use ferrules, but most of ours have gone that way anyway. Our in-house panel techs use ferrules accross the board.

Seems that tinning is becoming a lost art; I don't think that it is as neat as ferrule termination, and it certainly is more time-consuming.

+1 on the Wago crimper...

We just use Screw Terminals with Strain Relief on the outside of the JB.
We don't prep our ends, just twist and insert.

We prefer to not Ferrule as
  • it takes more time to complete
  • is just 1 more "link in the chain" that could fail. Troubleshooting loose wires is annoying enough without having to track every single ferrule.
  • when you go and site install a new instrument, do your new contractors have the capacity to Ferrule? Then your JBs look disorganized.
But it does not violate code.

We specify that our panel builders use ferrules, but two of the panel builders we use put ferrules on all their stuff anyways.

If you do a lot of panels it is something that you may wish to consider as a standard procedure. I've never heard of anybody objecting to the presence of ferrules but I have heard of customers rejecting panels for the absence of them.

Once you are set up ferruling goes pretty fast. I recommend the WAGO crimper, its a high quality ratcheting crimper that makes a square crimp. A cheap crimper is just going to aggravate you. Automation Direct is probably one of the least expensive ferrule suppliers, but their ferrule crimpers suck.

Ferruling is much faster than tinning.

I second the Wago crimper - it works very well. The AD one is junk. I've also had good luck with lowest cost units from ferrulesdirect.com if you need to buy a lowest cost unit.

This is the Wago crimper that I like. It self adjusts, you don't have to fiddle with different dies. There is also one for larger wires. I have both. The crimp is square, not flattened, tapered, or indented. Once you use it you'll never go back.

Also thanks for the link Adisharr. I see they have uninsulated ferrules. I prefer the uninsulated ones for connections inside the PLC card connector as there isn't a lot of room in there and AD doesn't have uninsulated ferrules.

Last edited:
I use ferrules on everything, and also use A-D's crimper, and really like it.
I have this tool: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...ping_Tools/Crimping_Pliers_-a-_Dies/DN-CT-HDL
with this die: http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...mping_Tools/Crimping_Pliers_-a-_Dies/DN-CT-D4

Is this the tool you guys don't like?

I have a different one from them but it the crimp is flattened like the die you listed. Flat crimps are generally too wide for a lot of devices. Since I switched to a square crimp, I haven't touched my other crimper.

This is the Wago crimper that I like. It self adjusts, you don't have to fiddle with different dies. There is also one for larger wires. I have both. The crimp is square, not flattened, tapered, or indented. Once you use it you'll never go back.

Also thanks for the link Adisharr. I see they have uninsulated ferrules. I prefer the uninsulated ones for connections inside the PLC card connector as there isn't a lot of room in there and AD doesn't have uninsulated ferrules.

Glad you like it. I try to avoid using special vendors for such a small part but they have a nice selection of very small ferrules I use for 26-28AWG as well as the uninsulted ones you mentioned.

I carry this tool around for my general crimping:

http://www.ferrulesdirect.com/terminal/Ferrules/FD2810SQ.htm

It's not a Wago but it's good for light field work.