micrologix 1400 memory module

irondesk40

Getting ready to ship 38 machines we just built to one of our plants in Dominican Republic and looking at getting one of the memory module to put the program on in case a plc ever fails or for some reason the plc has to be replaced and a program installed.
Has anyone did this using the memory module?
Thanks

i just installed a memory module and using the rslogix 500 software downloaded the program into the memory module.
I then erased the program in the micrologix 1400 plc and then using the front LED display cycled through and selected to load program from memory module and it work successfully.

Then you I had to use the LED screen and keypad on the 1400 to put the plc back into run mode.

Is there a better way? Is there a way to have the plc and insert the memory card and power the plc on and the program in the memory card be downloaded into the plc.
Thanks

Hi,

irondesk40 said:
...I had to use the LED screen and keypad on the 1400 to put the plc back into run mode...Is there a way to have the plc and insert the memory card and power the plc on and the program in the memory card be downloaded into the plc.

Yes, but this bit is important...

Only do the following in the user program that will be stored on the Memory Module, and not in the user program stored in RAM on the PLC.

In RSLogix 500, navigate to Processor Status > Mem Module Tab...

Here you can set:

Load Memory Module On Memory Error S:1/10 = 1

Then save and do a Store to EEPROM. Remember to set S:1/10 = 0 again and save once more to restore your offline copy as it should be. You do not need S:1/10 = 1 in the normal running program in the PLC's RAM. If it was always set, then you would always have to have a Memory Module inserted at all times.

If the PLC's user program is corrupted and lost from internal RAM, it will boot with a Memory Error each time. This is also the case with a new out-of-the-box PLC. If you insert a Memory Module, with S:1/10 = 1 set in its user program, then the PLC, once it boots with a Memory Error, will transfer the user program from the Memory Module to the processor and automatically go to REM Run Mode. You can then remove the Memory Module.

Just make sure any modifications that might be carried out to the programs on these machines are also updated to the Memory Module so as not to lose their functionality.

Regards,
George