Serial port problem...options?

rta53

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have a 4-1/2 year old Dell Inspiron 7500 that keeps losing use of the COM 1 serial port. A couple of times I have disabled and renabled the port and that seemed to fix it but now everytime I try to connect to a SLC 5/03 I get a message saying the port is in use. Rebooting doesn't seem to help anymore. I see 2 choices. 1. Get a new laptop!!! or 2. Find a reliable USB to RS232 convertor. We have bought several Dells at my company but it seems their tech support has really gone downhill. Any recommendations for a new laptop or convertor?

I should also mention that I have a PCMCIA serial adapter in this rig. At times I really do need 2 serial ports. I was having problems initially with the belkin but haven't had any in a long time. I do not want to imply that having the hardware adapter fixed any problems but it might have.

I get a message saying the port is in use

Is it possible that the serial port is actually in use? I am assuming that you are getting this message in RSLinx right? Is there any other RSLinx drivers trying to use the same serial port? What drivers do you have configured in RSLinx?

You could use AB's 1747-UIC USB to DH-485 converter.
This product will enable you to connect to DH-485 and also to
the channel 0 (RS-232) port on SLC5/03. It is also reasonably priced.
(I know it's unusual for AB but it's true).

I am sure that this is not hardware problem, unless you need a proof to get a new laptop ;)

Another program uses serial port.
It can be RSLinx or any other comm programs and drivers.
Look for other applications or services running in your task manager.

ok, this is really wierd. I do understand that the COM port can be in use by another program but I don't think it is in this case. I don't have the PIC driver installed. After rebooting I tried to do an autoconfig to a ML1200. I got a message back saying the autoconfig was successful, however, when I clicked ok here is the message I got. It seems almost like I'm not getting 2-way communication at the port.

after auto-config.jpg

Did you look at AB knowledge base?
They may have solution.
Did you try to communicate with other PLC brands?

Also, reboot computer, connect pins 2 and 3 on the serial port and try hyperterminal.

Eric,

I read the thread you suggested about USB to RS232. Did you ever get one of the AB UICs and is it the be all to end all?

Randy

I also use the Belkin (F5U409) and it works very well with Mitsubishi PLCs and FGOT panels, it also worked very well with G&L motion controllers. The only problem I got was with Cimrex panels. I couldn't communicate at all but I think it was a software issue rather than hardware. I haven't tried with AB.

Randy,

Do you have Directsoft installed on you computer?

I had a similar problem when using CODESYS, and my fix was to uninstall Directsoft. I had the same problem on four different computers. Even if you don't have Directsoft, I'll bet there is some program using that port.

Good Luck,
Kevin

Another thing to look for is palm pilot hot synch software. It can takeover the port and not make it available for other applications. I have not seen it stop a Rockwell product but it plays havoc with Pilz programable relay software. Regards Alan Case

rta53 said:
I read the thread you suggested about USB to RS232. Did you ever get one of the AB UICs and is it the be all to end all?

Sorry to say, no. Works great as a replacement for the bulky PIC, but that's about it. I still carry my Keyspan adapter to communicate with all the 'other' brands... ;)

I also keep that Belkin adapter in my toolkit to use as an additional COM port, since it works fine with A-D stuff.

beerchug

-Eric