serial to ethernet converter

Nirmaldev

Hi friends,
can anybody help me to find a solution for reading an ascii data from 9 different serial ports to a single plc..? If I use serial to ethernet converter and connect all ethernet cables to a hub and connect the plc to the hub, is it possible to read data...?

Warning on 7 bit ASCII - some serial-to-ethernet converters do not handle 7 bit ASCII. Check before you buy.

Hi...
I am working in a tyre industry. I am planning to put SCADA for our 9 tyre balancing machines. From each machine, I have to read a data which is available in the serial port available in the mother board.
I am planning to use an Allen bradely micrologix 1400 plc for this.

What can you tell us about the serial protocol used by the tyre balancing machines ?

Do you know if the protocol is addressable ? This means that each tyre balancing machine would have a unique address as part of the serial protocol.

Is the serial protocol ASCII based, or does it use raw bytes ?

Making an addressable multidrop system out of a non-addressable serial interface is not trivial.

Even doing it with Ethernet is not simple.

If this were my system might try installing a Digi One IAP at each location and using its powerful ASCII / PCCC interface feature.

What SCADA software are you using ?

It may be easier to directly use a SCADA software package that has a virtual serial port driver like Indusofts TXRX driver, Ignition's Serial Device driver, or Kepware's UCON driver.

Look at Moxa products. They have multiport serial cards for hard wired serial as well as serial to Ethernet device servers that would allow multiple serial connections through wired or wireless network to the PC.

http://www.moxa.com/product/SDS_SerialDevice Servers.htm

I used the wireless RS232 devices to connect multiple CNC machining centers to a network so we could download G-code from a single PC on the factory floor. Very easy!

Cheers

Ken

Forgot to add, The network to serial adapter driver will each have it's own com port. Your software will need to be able to access multiple serial ports in the way that you intend. Some older software only allowed limited com port access (1-9).

Ken