Various AB Software

besc

Lifetime Supporting Member
OK. I'm showing my ignorance. Back in the 90s for me it was PLC3 Slick500 and PLC5. To the chase. Does the RSLogix5000 cover specific products? What's needed for PLC3,5 and SLC500 to program? It's been so long. I went from Industrial to working for the City. Now I want back in industrial but so much has changed. Mike.

RSlogix 5000 is used for "CompactLogix" , "ControlLogix" and "GuardLogix" series of controllers.

SLC500's/MicroLogix controllers need RSLogix 500
PLC5's need RSLogix 5
PLC3's I don't know. Hopefully those that do will pump in.

Last edited:
PLC-3 had two DOS-based software packages.

The Allen-Bradley native package was 6200-PLC3.

The ICOM package was AI-3.

The customers I know that are still running AI-3 are mostly running Windows NT boxes with the DOS applications running in console mode.

Every one of them is a motherboard away from disaster, but they seem to like it that way.

One thing that you're going to find different about RSLogix 5000 is that it's not a cumulative revision support structure.

With RSLogix 5 or RSLogix 500, if you had the newest software package you had support included in it for every PLC OS and firmware revision in the past.

With RSLogix 5000, each major Firmware revision requires a separate installation of that editor. They do stack on top of one another and run pretty smoothly together (the last six or so revisions) in Windows 7, and when you buy a new copy of Studio 5000 v21, you are eligible to download versions 2 through 20.

When you see the splash screen or the Help-About window in RSLogix 5000, it will show you which versions are installed on your computer.

I personally have 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 on my XP virtual machine, and 19, 20, 21 on my Windows 7 virtual machine.

I'm getting that the SLC500 is and RSLogix 500 systems are still going strong out there in PLC world and that time invested in learning them is worthwhile? True?

If you HAVE an existing SLC500 system, there is no need to change it now. But if you are designing a NEW system, I would not use it. Much of what the early SLCs were capable of can now be done in the less expensive Micro800s, and that software is free now (Connected Components Workbench). If you were going to use the more advanced features of the SLC that came out later, I would now use a CompactLogix system and if you are looking at something that you might have done with a PLC5, then use a ControlLogix platform.

PLC 5s are now obsolete, PLC 3s have been for a decade or more.

Yes. I tracked down some prices. RSLogix 500; $1010, and the cable; $406. The cable was a real head turner. Havn't found a price on the SLC500 though. Will investigate Micro 800 and cable prices. If someone has a ballpark figure for both, and the 800 modules, please chime in. thanks Mike.

What is the part number of the cable were you quoted? There can be several different cables depending on the controller you need to connect to and there is most likely a cheaper alternative.

Here is my favorite source for cables.

We quit using the SLC500 a few years back and have been phasing out our last remaining SLCs. We were down to just two when someone bought a brand new machine in that had a SLC in it (I'm astounded that an OEM would still be using one but this OEM hasn't even started thinking about upgrading).

We had been continuing to use ML1100 and ML1400 micros, but in light of the newest CompactLogix family additions including the economical bricks, we recently made the decision that everything new (even simple equipment) will be CompactLogix or ControlLogix.

If you are wishing to re-enter the industry and you are using AB, then I suggest you start to become familiar with the Logic5000 family.

We quit using the SLC500 a few years back and have been phasing out our last remaining SLCs. We were down to just two when someone bought a brand new machine in that had a SLC in it (I'm astounded that an OEM would still be using one but this OEM hasn't even started thinking about upgrading).

We had been continuing to use ML1100 and ML1400 micros, but in light of the newest CompactLogix family additions including the economical bricks, we recently made the decision that everything new (even simple equipment) will be CompactLogix or ControlLogix.

If you are wishing to re-enter the industry and you are using AB, then I suggest you start to become familiar with the Logic5000 family.

+1

I also have seen many OEM's still trying to deliver SLC based machines and they lost my buisness. I myself would not be installing Micrologix in anything new either as compactlogix can be just as affordable and much more feature rich.

I have also found it easier to train tech as we move further into the Logix platform site wide.

Here we are phasing out equipment and controls and networks in favor of Logix processors and Ethernet IP networks site wide.