Motor ?

T Gibbs

I'm hooking up a machine and started to connect the motor. There is no diagram or nameplate on it and none of the terminals are marked. I've never seen one like this. It has the cords already hooked up in it and I'm trying to figure out how to hook up the other end using "across the line" start.

Motor.jpg

The peckerhead on the right just looks like a Y or Star connection with a thermal trip

What does the motor do?

Looks like a slip ring motor perhaps? I have never dealt with one. With that said, it looks to be wired between the two connection points already?

I would have fun with an ohmmeter and a notepad for sure, but first, I might call "S.M.A. Industrial Services Ltd" and pick their brains about it.

I would guess that you bolt your 3 phases to the connections on the right, but I would ohm them first and do my darndest to find a spec sheet on this motor. Then, before you throw the juice to it, if there remain any doubts, make sure there exists a spare

Last edited:
Looks like a slip ring motor perhaps? I have never dealt with one. With that said, it looks to be wired between the two connection points already?

I would have fun with an ohmmeter and a notepad for sure.

There is a cord coming from each of the peckerheads to go to the control cabinet. One went to the main contactor, the other went to a star-delta contactor, I think.

I've tried the ohmmeter. Set on meg-ohms, if I read between any terminal of one connection box and any terminal of the other connection box, it starts around 60 and climbs, continuously.

60megohms? So they are separate circuits, and I admit have no idea what to do with the one on the left...

The one on the right, verify you have balanced ohm readings between the studs and that they are not grounded.

I have seen some old systems where slip rings from one motor fed to another motor circuit, but they were small positioning motors built quite differently than what you have. What does this motor do?

Thank You, OkiePC. I had never heard of a slip ring motor. I googled it and you are correct, it is. Now I have to figure out how this thing works and what I need to do to control it.

The one on the left is the power feed. The one on the right is the slip rings and you have to put external resistance across them to control the speed of the motor, from what I am understanding.

The one on the right is the slip rings and you have to put external resistance across them to control the speed of the motor, from what I am understanding.
It appears that the slip rings are 3-phase, 1 phase bare, 1 marked yellow, 1 marked blue. If so, this could be a wound-rotor motor, with a rotor having a coil fed by slip rings (instead of the usual induced-current rotor). The speed of a wound-rotor motor can be changed by changing the resistance between A-B, B-C and C-A of the wound rotor leads. Before electronic VFDs, wound rotor motors were used in cranes and other large loads.