Allen Bradley 1756-L63 Version Down grade

InstrumX

Can anyone please give assistance, I have 2 project sites both with different CPU versions, the one site runs with version 13, the other with version 19, how can I downgrade form version 19 to 13

Thanx

Welcome to the Forum !

The 1756-L63 controller supports firmware versions 16 through 20.

The controller with version 13 must be a different model number, like 1756-L55 or 1756-L1.

These are all members of the same ControlLogix family.

You can install multiple versions of RSLogix 5000 editing software on the same computer. Version 13 will not support Windows 7, so you're going to need a Windows XP computer (or an XP Virtual Machine) to install both.

You definitely cannot downgrade any v19 controller to v13.

If you have a Rockwell Software TechConnect support contract (even the Web-only contract) you are eligible to download versions 10 through 21 of RSLogix 5000 software.

For all the grief they get for not having Windows 8 support or a omnibus all-versions editor, ControlLogix really does have very good forward compatibility.

I can take a ControlLogix program written for a 1756-L1 in 1998 and open it in Studio 5000 v21.

The software lets me select a new 1756-L71 controller, and happily converts all the logic from 1998 and gets it ready for download in 2014.

For the OP, v13 and v19 can co-exist happily on the same PC. There's no reason not to install them both and support both systems without resorting to any changes to the firmware of either one.

InstrumX said:
Can anyone please give assistance, I have 2 project sites both with different CPU versions, the one site runs with version 13, the other with version 19, how can I downgrade form version 19 to 13...

What's not clear here, to me, is whether you are asking...

a) "...how can I downgrade form version 19 to 13..." meaning processor firmware versions?

...or...

b) "...how can I downgrade form version 19 to 13..." meaning RSLogix 5000 software versions?

If a) Is it that you only have RSLogix 5000 v13, and don't realize that it's both relatively simple to get v19, and also relatively simple to install it along side v13?

...or...

If b) (which I suspect it is?) and the reason is just to work on the v13 site, then yes, and as Ken advised, installing multiple versions of RSLogix 5000 is the way to go, rather than touch processor firmware at all.

Many of us have multiple RSLogix 5000 versions install simultaneously or virtually on the same PC for this very reason.

See here...

22724 - RSLogix 5000: Installing multiple revisions on same machine
Access Level: TechConnect

Regards,
George

Watch out! George is about!...

Ken,

This may be academic, but you know me...šŸ‘ØšŸ»ā€šŸ«

With respect, I think you may have slightly misread or heard some of your info...

Ken Roach said:
...The 1756-L63 controller supports firmware versions 16 through 20...

Perhaps you read that the 1756-L64 processor supports firmware versions 16 through 20, which it does, and mistook it for the L63?

A 1756-L63 Series A processor supports firmware versions 10 through 20.

A 1756-L63 Series B processor supports firmware versions 13.40 through 20. With an exception on v13.40 for 1756-L63 Series B processors.

Here is a good reference for firmware revisions supported by the various new and old ControlLogix processors, and some info on flashing them...

21012 - ControlLogix: Hardware/Firmware Compatibility
Access Level: Everyone

...and this is the reference to using, or not using, v13.40 firmware with 1756-L6x/B processors...

119881 - Flashing a 1756-L6x/B revision 1.10 to certain revisions renders Controller unusable

So a 1756-L63/A or /B does support v13.xx firmware and can indeed be backflashed from v19 to v13. Why one would do so is entirely another matter.

Ken Roach said:
...Version 13 will not support Windows 7...

Originally, and officially, RA did not support RSLogix 5000 v13-v18 under Windows 7. v19 was the entry level for Windows 7 support. However, and as they often do, once products have been field tested for a period, and feedback on bugs and stability are collected, they then state that they do now support a particular setup, under certain circumstances. This was the case with RSLogix 5000 v13-v18 and Windows 7, which you can read here under "Exceptions"...

67020 - RSLogix 5/500/5000 on Windows Vista and Windows 7

Ken roach said:
...You definitely cannot downgrade any v19 controller to v13...

With certain hardware exceptions excluded, and attention to be paid to Minor revisions, all ControlLogix processors can be backflashed to any previously supported Major firmware revision. If a processor supports v13 through v20, then it can be flashed forward or backward to any of those version...

55366 - Is it OK to BackFlash a ControlLogix Processor to an Earlier Firmware Revision?
Access Level: TechConnect

Peace,
George

Thank you all for the resonsese, just to ckear things from my side , I would like to get my processor version from 19 to 13, my RS Loicix software version is 17.0 . I was able t upgrade the processor to version 17.1 but my offline project is 17.2 , now when I want to upgrade to version 19 it comes with error, I susect it has to do with the different versions of 17, now how to fix this?
Thank you

George, you are entirely correct. My recollection was hazy and I made some assumptions based on the RA compatibility website instead of a review of the release notes.

InstrumX, you need to read and understand the way RSLogix 5000 software and ControlLogix firmware work together before you attempt to change anything else about your system.

InstrumX said:
Thank you all for the resonsese, just to ckear things from my side...

InstrumX,

Unfortunately, that is no clearer than before and just adds more confusion. :unsure:

But I'm a glutton for punishment!

Please explain the following...

"...I would like to get my processor version from 19 to 13..."

Ok, but why v13?

If you say...

"...my RS Loicix software version is 17.0..."

...then why do you want the processor at v13 firmware?

Next puzzle...

"...I was able t upgrade the processor to version 17.1..."

For a 1756-L63/A or /B, there is no processor firmware "v17.1". The only available firmware at v17 is v17.004.

Going from v19 to v17 is a downgrade, not an upgrade, but I thought you wanted it at v13?

Next...

"...my offline project is 17.2..."

RSLogix 5000 is not available at "v17.2". The only v17 available is at v17.01.02.

Regardless of Minor revision differences, a Major v17.xx project can download and go online with a Major v17.xx firmware processor.
So your processor at v17.004 and project at v17.01.02 should be compatible.

So why on earth are you then saying...

"...now when I want to upgrade to version 19..."

...which is coming full circle back to v19 that you started off saying you wanted to change to v13, which is not the version your project is at???

Now my head hurts. šŸ™ƒ

Best advice I can give you...leave all processor firmware alone, or back as they were.

If you currently use RSLogix 5000 v17.01.02 for this, or other project work, then leave it installed.

Download and install RSLogix 5000 v13.04.00 (latest) for the v13 site work

...and...

Download and install RSLogix 5000 v19.01.01 (latest) for the v19 site work.

K.I.S.S.!!!

G.