20 micrologix to one Compact logix

alijuda

Dear Friends
I needs your advice , I have aproject with 20 local station control (( planning to use ML1400 PLC ) and all those 20 PLC connected to one Compactlogix plc type (1769-L16ER-BB1B) the communication will be TCP/IP

according to your experience did I will face problem of slowly communication because i needs to fully control those PLC (Read / write integer , start / stop coils )

is the rslogix5000 accepted the ML1400 tags (b3:0/0 , N7:0 etc.... )

whats the required instruction in rslogix5000 because iam new with compactlogix((rslogix5000)

Waiting your kindly support

Best Regards
Ali:confused::confused::confused:

Remote I/O

Dear Sir,
Many thanks for reply

Please could you help me catalog number for thi I/O
These 20 station in different location with (50 tag for each station ) the Maximum distance about 300m from main control station

Best Regards
Ali

It is not easy to answer in a single post like this.
If I should provide advice, you should come up with much more information.
It may be that you need some kind of distributed RTUs, or independent PLCs, or distributed IO. It depends on the task.

If you go this route of distributed IO you should study Ethernet/IP in depth before ordering anything.

Dear Sir,
Many thanks for reply

Please could you help me catalog number for thi I/O
These 20 station in different location with (50 tag for each station ) the Maximum distance about 300m from main control station

Best Regards
Ali

Point IO uses the Catalogue Number 1734-XXX.

So for example an 8 point 24v Digital Input card is 1734-IB8.
You will also need an adaptor to communicate with the point IO cards such as the 1734-AENTR which is the ethernet version. Have a look here for more information about point IO http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/IO/1734-POINT-IO

Regards
Ian

That's right ,thank you for advice , I will try contact my AB supplier so they can give me the Technical support for this case
Many Thanks for help
Best regards
Ali

Look for a software packaged called "Integrated Architecture Builder"

You can build a distributed I/O system in the software, choose your modules, and it will give you a material list. It will automatically tally your wiring terminal bases, bus power extenders, etc. If you're familiar with Allen-Bradley this is a very powerful tool.

If you're not, Point I/O has these basic components:

- Comm adapter: If you're using Ethernet you'll need a 1734-AENT for star topology or 1734-AENTR for device-level ring or linear topology (I prefer this method).
- Terminal Bases: You will need (usually) one per I/O card. The only exceptions are a few safety and specialty modules, so consult the documentation for each card. There are several choices here. It depends on if you want screw terminals or spring cage terminals. Typical part numbers are like 1734-TB for a standard eight-terminal screw-conection block.
- I/O Modules: A wide variety are available. They plug in to the terminal bases. Select based on your needs (For example: 1734-IB8 is a 24vdc 8-Channel Input card).
- Field Power Distributor (1734-FPD): You use these to "break up" the field power bus for your devices. Typically these are used for digital outputs and are tied into the safety circuit. So when your safety circuit drops out, the actual power to the outputs drop out without intervention in the program.
- Expansion Power Modules: These modules perform the function of an FPD as well as extend bus power to more modules. In a Point I/O system there are two power "rails", there is the 5vdc bus power that powers the modules themselves, and the field power (anywhere from low voltage DC to 240vac) which powers I/O devices. The 5vdc Point I/O bus power has a limit and can only support a certain number of modules. How many modules depends on which ones you're using (they all draw different currents). This is why I used Integrated Architecture Builder. It automatically puts an EP module in when I need it. But you can also review the documentation for each module as well as the limitations for the AENT/R and EPAC/24DC and determine this yourself. I often try to place an EP module where an FPD would go if I can since an EP also breaks the field power bus like an FPD.
- Address Reserve Module (1734-ARM): Use these to "reserve" a place in the rack for future expansion. Yes, you can add to the end but if you have a complicated rack with field power broken up you'll definitely want one of these. Especially in a situation where you have say a digital input you need to add. It'd be better to add it in with the rest of the inputs on the same field power bus than just slap it on at the end.
- Termination Modules (1734-CTM/1734-VTM): These modules don't take up an address in the rack, but instead are used as convenient landing points for field power. Use a VTM if you are wiring field input devices directly to the I/O cards and the Inputs are high-density (the lower density input and output cards have field power terminations on them already). The VTM is also convenient for three-wire analog devices (so you don't have to strip the cable way back for the one conductor to go to dc+). Use the CTM for outputs where you need to wire common (or neutral) field points. These cards are optional and are just offered as a convenience should you want it.

The Point I/O rack internally is a DeviceNet network, so you have a limitation of 64 modules including the comm modules. So the maximum I/O you could have on a single Point I/O rack is 63 cards, theoretically.

Dear Friend
Many Thanks for support,
I thing this choise is more expensive than using 20 ML1400 + 1 compact logix

because I needs to us 2 DI Rack + 2 DO rack + 1 AI rack in each station

One more thing to consider - the processor you chose (1769-L16ER-BB1B) only supports 4 Ethernet nodes. If you are going to connect to 20 ML1400s, you will need nothing smaller than the 1769-L33ER which supports up to 32 nodes.

Using the Integrated Architecture Builder is good advice.

alijuda said:
...I have aproject with 20 local station control (( planning to use ML1400 PLC )...i needs to fully control those PLC (Read / write integer , start / stop coils )...

!! Do not forget..you cannot use the MicroLogix 1400 controllers as a substitute for deterministic Control of Remote I/O !!

Why Explicit Messaging for Control of Remote I/O is a No No!

I would second the use of distributed I/O system such as Point I/O over Ethernet, and the use of a 1769-L33ER controller minimum.

Here is the number of Ethernet nodes supported on all of the 5370 CompactLogix controllers and which devices count as a node, or not...

474754 - CompactLogix 5370 Nodes on an Ethernet/IP Network
Access Level: Everyone

Regards,
George

Using Point I/O

Dear Friends
Thanks for all Info.
I already compare the cost between using (20 ML1400 + 1 Compact logix) or using Point I/O
I thing is better to take your advice by using Point I/O 1734-XX with 1 compact logix its will be faster and complete controlling but in this case I will have larg number I/O point each 20 station will be consisted of :
1 power supply type 1734-FPD total (20 Rack )
1 communication module 1734-AENTR total (20 Rack)
4 Digital input type 1734-IB8 total (80 RAck)
2 Digital Output Type 1734-OB8 total ( 40 Rack)
1 Analge input type 1734-IE2C total (20 Rack)
1 HMI 6 inch compact panel view total (20 HMI)

is that didnt made network slowly (the maximum distance 500 meter )

best regards
Ali

Wait just a minute now.
Dear Friends
Thanks for all Info.
I already compare the cost between using (20 ML1400 + 1 Compact logix) or using Point I/O
I thing is better to take your advice by using Point I/O 1734-XX with 1 compact logix its will be faster and complete controlling but in this case I will have larg number I/O point each 20 station will be consisted of :
1 power supply type 1734-FPD total (20 Rack )
1 communication module 1734-AENTR total (20 Rack)
4 Digital input type 1734-IB8 total (80 RAck)
2 Digital Output Type 1734-OB8 total ( 40 Rack)
1 Analge input type 1734-IE2C total (20 Rack)
1 HMI 6 inch compact panel view total (20 HMI)

is that didnt made network slowly (the maximum distance 500 meter )

best regards
Ali
IMHO, adding 20 HMIs to this changes everything. Panelviews tend to be traffic hogs and having 20 of them hitting a single processor is really going to slow things down.

This makes me start thinking that rather than Point I/O at each location, you need 20 small individual processors (1769-L18ER-BB1B) for the remote locations, each with: 1) its own local I/O, 2) a small 4-port managed Ethernet switch, and 3) a single HMI talking to it. Then, for a supervisory processor, a single (1769-L33ER) to transfer data and setpoints via produced/consumed tags and a 24-port managed switch.

Last edited:
Dear Steven
thank you for interested
I worked befor with smaller project but they used concept PLC 140CPU11303 as main plc and 21 drop I/O ,21 local HMI , 1 Main HMI
all those items connected to main PLC by Modbus Plus network and the system is going fast with no prolem .

if I used 1769-L33 PLC as main station , the small HMI's will read different tags in PLC (each HMI read 6 bit memory tags for valves state , write 4 integer words) its not big data
Only the Main HMI have larg number of tags and I will connected it via rs232 port with main PLC 1769-L33

I would check into using the new 1769-AENTR for all the remote nodes. This would allow you to use normal 1769 CompactLogix I/O as remote IO.

With this much traffic and network complexity, i would HIGHLY recommend using managed switches. Also, I would go with a the L36ERM for the extra networking capability.