ML1400 to scada

rQx

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi!

Another question that is over my head. I haven't worked with scada or any larger systems. I simply have a ML1400 and HMI in my cabinet.

The end customer wants to know if my cabinet can communicate with their scada system.

So here's what I think:

My ML1400 can communicate with ethernet/ip.
Their scada system must be able to communicate over ethernet/ip to access my datafiles.

In this case I don't have to make any changes to my cabinet and PLC program. This would be the easiest, they can just connect to my switch in my cabinet and access the PLC.

The answer I think is appropiate to my customer is: Yes, we can communicate with your scada system over Ethernet/ip.

I ask this question because I have no knowledge what scada is what so ever. Is every scada system able to communicate with ML1400?

/Tim

Hi Tim,

I would ask you client what SCADA system they use and tell us. However you're probably right, most SCADA systems have an IO server that can communicate with AB DF1 devices like you're micrologix

You need to find out SCADA they are using, If there is not a native Ethernet/IP for Micrologix driver in the SCADA, an OPC server from Kepware will be the link.

You will have to make sure the IP address of your ML1400 can be 'pinged' from the SCADA network.
If you are on a different subnet, your IP will need to change as well as any HMIs that are on Ethernet.

the micrologix can also do modbus on either serial port and if it is version b(I think its b), it can do modbus tcp. virtually every scada system will support modbus.

Thanks alot for the answers. Very usefull information and now I know how to proceed with my answers to my client.

I have basicly told them that we can connect to their scada system using ethernet/ip and if they don't support it I have to program a modbus TCP connection at their cost.

Again, thanks alot!

I feel iffy about telling them you can connect to their SCADA system when you don't seem to know which SCADA system it actually is. I just hope you don't run into a nightmare scenario where they show you the system and it's some ancient DOS-based dinosaur that won't talk to anything but brand XYZ PLCs who went out of business 35 years ago. Not that that's likely, but worse things have happened. Personally, I would refuse to give them an answer until they tell me what SCADA system they have.

I don't tell them that I can connect to their scada. I tell them that I provide a ML1400 with ethernet/ip availability. What I want to confirm is that I dont have to reprogram anything in my ML1400 program for them to connect to it. Is that correct?

I am not so good at networking, we supply a turnkey cabinet with no comms programmed. So they can ask and we reprogram for example modbus . But what can connect to my ML1400 with no reprogrammin, that is my question. Or where can I read about it :)

If your customer wants you to connect to their Scada, someone is going to have to program the Scada to talk to your system. Get the phone number or email of the Scada developer and discuss it with them. There is no points for guessing and you will likely land yourself in a hole. They can then tell you their requirements and capabilities. If you don't understand their terminology then say so. There is no point in agreeing with something you don't understand. Definitely don't tell your customer you can do it unless you really can.

I understand that they have to program their SCADA systems to talk to my system. I think you misunderstand my problem here, I understand that there are lots of different SCADA system and overall master control system. It's not that we will provide support or suggestions on how they should communicate with our system. We and my customer simply do not want to do it. It will be too much trouble if we sell a control cabinet from Sweden through a number of retailers and then end customer sits in Qatar, and we will provide support to their control systems. That's not going to happen. What I'm wondering is: Can a client connect to my control cabinet without me doing anything programming in my controller, through EtherNet/IP? I wont need to program MSG instructions and so on? I guess I have gotten the answers further up in the thread:

"However you're probably right, most SCADA systems have an IO server that can communicate with AB DF1 devices like you're micrologix"

"You need to find out SCADA they are using, If there is not a native Ethernet/IP for Micrologix driver in the SCADA, an OPC server from Kepware will be the link."

But do I need to program MSG and so on?

I apologize if I seem stuborn, I'm just not used to Rockwell and scada systems and have difficulties expresing myself in English.

And I have told my customer that they should incorporate modbus RTU and TCP availdability in the controller but they haven't bothered order it yet (if ever).

Can a client connect to my control cabinet without me doing anything programming in my controller, through EtherNet/IP? I wont need to program MSG instructions and so on?

In general, yes. The default condition for all data table memory in an A-B controller, including the MicroLogix 1400, is to be set for "read/write" access with no security features enabled or required. Just configure an IP address, a Subnet Mask, and a Default Gateway address.

You do not have to configure any special data exchange features or implement any MSG instructions to allow a SCADA system to access data table memory in your controller over EtherNet/IP.

What I personally prefer to do is to set up one or two Data Table files that are dedicated to SCADA or HMI use.

That's the most efficient method because the SCADA system can read a block of data more efficiently than a bunch of scattered registers. And it makes troubleshooting easier, and reduced the chance that the SCADA guys are going to make a syntax error and accidentally write a value someplace it isn't supposed to go.

In general, yes. The default condition for all data table memory in an A-B controller, including the MicroLogix 1400, is to be set for "read/write" access with no security features enabled or required. Just configure an IP address, a Subnet Mask, and a Default Gateway address.

You do not have to configure any special data exchange features or implement any MSG instructions to allow a SCADA system to access data table memory in your controller over EtherNet/IP.

What I personally prefer to do is to set up one or two Data Table files that are dedicated to SCADA or HMI use.

That's the most efficient method because the SCADA system can read a block of data more efficiently than a bunch of scattered registers. And it makes troubleshooting easier, and reduced the chance that the SCADA guys are going to make a syntax error and accidentally write a value someplace it isn't supposed to go.

Thanks alot! That really sums up the questions I'm having. Really appreciate it! :geek: