find device net mapping

Hello, I'm not that familiar with device net, however I need to add a few analog inputs on a compact logix using point I/O with device net. There's no mapping written down any were on the prints so what would be the best way to find the mapping that the deviceNet scanner is using? I have access to rs network, not to familiar with that software though, also what about point I/O over ethernet, I need to find some analog inputs and outputs for this as well, are the two that same procedure using rs networks? Thx for any help.

Do you have the *****.dnt file that stores all of the network configuration ?

Post what you have (zip it first, forum rule), and we can take a look at the network configuration for you.

If you don't have the file, and probably better anyway, use RSNetworx for DeciceNet to "go online" to the network. RSNetworx can retrieve all the configuration from the devices, and you can save a new whatever.dnt file.

DO NOT "download" anything, to any of the network nodes, including the scanner !!

Yes that's what I'm afraid of!
Okay so a quick run down of the of the procedure
Rs network's > rswho > go online with the scanner > upload from scanner > then save file > then go offline > and go to scan list and find my analog card > then mapping > ? I'm just trying to remember when I used that software along time ago. Thx

Good if you get that far....

Then when you look at your scanner's scan-list, it should show devices that are scanned, and any (new) devices that aren't.

Add the new devices to the scan-list, and it will automatically map them into the I/O images. Alternatively, turn off "Automap on add", then you can go into the I and O mappings to put them where you want them (many people do this, mapping at 2*node number is a common scheme).

If you successfully add the new devices to the scan-list, you can then DOWNLOAD this to the scanner, and it should start to get/put the I/O data.

You will need to know the I/O instance assembly for the bits/bytes/words of data that is mapped, so that you can read/write the device's interface. Manufacturers data should provide this, or you can open the EDS file in Notepad and deduce everything from there.

There is a tool called the "DeviceNet Tag Generator", but I only recommend using it when you have a good understanding of the basics, but if you get there, it helps a lot.