C-more connect to PLC5 through Ethernet?

benanna

A customer has a PLC5/40 that has a 1761-NET-ENI (series C) connected to the DF1 communication port. They have an old Panelview HMI connected on the DH+ network, and I'd like to replace this HMI with a C-more. Can I use the Ethernet port on the C-more, connected to the 1761-NET-ENI network, to talk to the PLC5?

When looking at the compatibility chart on this document (page 3), the PLC5 processor is only listed as compatible with the DF1 Full Duplex driver.

However, there is a driver called "Allen-Bradley EtherNet/IP (Client) ENI Adapter". I'm wondering if it would be possible to connect to the PLC5 using this driver, since the PLC5 does have an ENI adapter connected and working.

The reason I think this might be possible is that it is my understanding that, from an external, Ethernet perspective, a PLC5 with the ENI adapter looks the same as a SLC with an ENI adapter. According to the user manual for the ENI adapter (pages 8-24, 8-25), when programming a MSG instruction in a ControlLogix processor to connect to a SLC with an ENI, you configure the MSG instruction as a "PLC5 Typed Read" or "PLC5 Typed Write."

Has anyone had any success connecting a C-more to a PLC5 through Ethernet?

If that isn't going to work, my other alternative is to use a 1747-DPS1 DF1 port splitter to connect both the ENI adapter and the C-more via DF1. Any thoughts on that option? I'd rather use Ethernet, if it will work.

A followup, for anyone that might be interested:

As the compatibility chart says, Ethernet communication to PLC-5 is not possible through the 1761-NET-ENI. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard for AutomationDirect/Koyo to create a PLC-5/NET-ENI driver for the C-more, but they haven't yet, and I have confirmed that the current NET-ENI driver doesn't work with PLC-5.

The 1747-DPS1, however, worked great, once I had everything properly configured. I now have the NET-ENI and the C-more both connected to the PLC-5 through a single RS-232 DF1 port.

The trick to getting this connected is understanding the serial ports on the DPS1. The ports on the DPS1 are all locked at 19.2 kbps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, and (this is really important) CRC error checking. Lots of devices default to BCC error checking. I had to explicitly set everything to 19.2 kbps, 8-N-1, and CRC, turning off the auto-negotiate features in the NET-ENI. After I did that, everything worked. The C-more communicates with the PLC-5 perfectly (using the DF1 Full Duplex driver) and I can go online using RSLogix 5 with the PLC-5 through the NET-ENI over Ethernet at the same time.

Last edited: