Silo Overflow

Strokur

Hello again,

I was informed today at my job that one of our Raw silos does not have a high level/overflow sensor to stop any product from overfilling the silo. This is only a concern every once in a while when we have heavy receiving traffic from tankers.

What ends up happening is the product reaches the overflow pipe, and starts dumping down a drain. There is a sensor at the bottom of the pipe where the actual drain is, however for this sensor to trigger an alarm it takes almost 300 gallons. Obviously not cost effective, I was unaware of this until now and I was told to fix this issue.

They are looking for a fix that I can apply to the PLC, which I dont' see an issue with I was just coming here to see if my idea was a good fit or if anybody else has any insight on may be missing.

We have a meter that counts gallons received on the truck side that I can use as well as the Raw Receiving tank's level sensor. My thought is to compare the levels after a while or once it becomes closer to the tanks capacity (within 500 gallons). I would poll it every 5-10 seconds and check the difference between the meter and the level sensor of said tank.

The level sensor would max out and not move, where the flow meter would continue counting and once it becomes further apart I would stop the receiving pump.

My question is does this seem like a sound and logical approach or if I'm missing something what would it be?:confused: I appreciate any and all responses as always and if I'm forgetting something I'll add it when I have time.

Thanks again!
Phil

Yes, your approach should work, once you tweak it to allow stopping the filling before the overflow occurs.

A big question is: What are the reasons NOT to install a high-level switch at the Raw silo?

If there's a level sensor in the tank, why not use it to just stop the pump when the level gets to high?
If you want a seperate overfill protection there are a variety of these; thermistors, capacitive, sonic and mechanical.

If there's a level sensor in the tank, why not use it to just stop the pump when the level gets to high?
Because it is a "NORMAL" level switch, but not a HIGH Level switch, where apparently a HIGH level would allow at least another 500 gallons to be put into the Raw Silo:
We have a meter that counts gallons received on the truck side that I can use as well as the Raw Receiving tank's level sensor. My thought is to compare the levels after a while or once it becomes closer to the tanks capacity (within 500 gallons).

Isn't it always fun to guess about what was really meant? Nothing like a good game of What Is It Anyway?

Thank you for the responses, unfortunately installing anything isn't in the immediate budget(as sad as it is).
Isn't it always fun to guess about what was really meant? Nothing like a good game of What Is It Anyway?
On the truck/receiving side there's a flow meter counting the gallons coming out of the truck, and the sensor on the tank, that's just a 4-20mA level sensor installed on the Raw silo that receives from the truck. I apologize if my phrasing has confused anybody or I have not been clear.

So you are saying that you do have a level sensor on the Raw Silo, but it is at the wrong level to indicate a full silo?

Could the existing sensor be moved up? I suppose not, or they wouldn't be asking you to solve the problem using software!

So you are saying that you do have a level sensor on the Raw Silo, but it is at the wrong level to indicate a full silo?

Could the existing sensor be moved up? I suppose not, or they wouldn't be asking you to solve the problem using software!

Correct! I realize this could be much simpler but on those tanks specifically, they see a huge amount of traffic during the day and I can say they don't want the level sensor to cut it off prematurely as they try to pack them as full as possible. Yet I also realize the logic could work IF I made the appropriate changes o_O

Any idea if the analog signal has a "high level shutoff" that is above the overflow pipe? If the logic is already there, recal the level sensor so that 100% is just below the overflow pipe.