Prosoft Ethernet to Remote I/O Media Converter

jkerekes

I just got the latest edition of the Prosoft magazine. They have featured what looks to be a new product. It lets you run Ethernet comms over Belden blue hose wiring simultaneously with Remote I/O comms. Made for phase migration of older systems. It doesn't say if the 300 foot limit of Cat 5 cable is still in play for blue hose. Looks interesting for some projects.

Joe_WaZoo said:
Is it on Page 6 of this document?...

Joe,

That article in the 2013 edition is referring to the AN-X2-AB-DHRIO, which is an EtherNet/IP to Remote I/O or DH+ Gateway. It converts Ethernet/IP to RIO/DH+, but does not carry Ethernet/IP data through the Gateway, as intended in the Converter John is referring to.

John,

I got an email on these just this week through Rockwell. They are called an IMC-BHx-AC. They use a Master at one end and one or more Slaves along the Blue Hose at drops where ever an Ethernet device needs to communicate with another Ethernet node. The Ethernet/IP data is not traveling on standard Ethernet media, but on the Blue Hose, after being converted. So the distance limitations of Ethernet media does not come into it. Of course, the distance limitations of the Ethernet cabling from the Converters to the respective nodes does still apply, but this should be a short hop from the Converters if designed correctly.

Between the Master and Slave, you can have a maximum of 1300ft for a mixture of Ethernet/IP and Remote I/O data, or 1750ft if only using Ethernet/IP data. They also provide Repeaters for longer distances.

They support up to 32 Remote I/O nodes, but do not support DH+. This could diminish its appeal to a lot of end users.

Another downside is they require 120/240VAC supply, so any existing installations that were designed for 24VDC supply only, as many RIO enclosures can be, could also be a limiting factor for some looking to use it as an interim dual function network. If you are using say a Flex 1794-PS3 or PS13 120VAC/24VDC PSU, then you would be fine, provided you have enough room for the converter in the enclosure as well. I've seen some "tight" RIO boxes in my time!

Regards,
George