Ethernet Bridge

dhuggins88

Hello all, I would like to connect from my desk to my Ethernet hub/private network inside my panel to be able to download programs to my processors and panel views without running an Ethernet cable. Our panel shop is way across the building and I have to transfer my programs to my laptop and walk over there and basically it's just a waste of time. Also while troubleshooting a problem I like to do it at my desk instead of on the shop floor with all the banging around. I'm looking for a 2 piece Ethernet bridge to plug 1 piece into my Ethernet hub in my panel and 1 into my hub at my desk and have a "wireless" link that would act just like me plugging a cable in from my desk to the panel. I have searched the internet and there are a lot of expensive options but I am just looking for a cheap effective solution. The distance would be around 500' through 3 walls. Any suggestions on a particular product is greatly appreciated.

Does your laptop not have wifi? If not, time for a new laptop.

If it's just for programming etc turn you can just use a cheap wireless access point in the panel. Then you connect to that with your laptop. Should be possible over the distance you describe. Ubiquiti do some good units.

Look for access points that support a technology called WDS (Wireless Distribution Sytem). It allows you to do what you describe, have a wireless backbone with wired devices at each end.

However you may find that 500 feet (and through three walls) is too far to go with just two AP's, you may need more. The Edimax devices I used were pretty cheap, low cost but correspondingly low quality. It did work, though.

I used the Ghost Bridge from B&B electric for an outdoor install from shore to a stationary barge. Worked great and it's POE so only one Cat5e to the bridge.

Greetings,

We may also have what you are looking for. If you have a wireless access point in your location, then you will be able to establish communications with your machines through what we call a wireless data relay point. More information can be viewed through the following links.

http://www.eternity-sales.com/WirefreeCNC/hardware.htm
http://www.eternity-sales.com/WirefreeCNC/WirefreeCNC.htm

These products have been deployed in some of the more challenging manufacturing environments.

If you have any questions, feel free to post, pm or email through the link provided below.

A commercial style alternative (as opposed to industrial) is to put a wifi access point on your network (create WiFi network at your location) then use a device like the Buffalo 'Ethernet Converter' at your panel. The Ethernet Converter will convert your Ethernet devices, such as PLCs/HMIs, into wifi-enabled devices.

http://www.data-linc.com/fastlinc/fastlinc910e.htm
Not “cheap” but it will do the job effortlessly in the environment you talk about and won’t be bothered by, or use up any of the WiFi spectrum. If you’ve found another solution that’s working then this may not be worth looking at. However if you’re still having issues this will solve them. I’ve said for years, “cheap comes out expensive”.

You got an old Linksys WRT laying around? (I know that most geeks have, lol) Other routers may work to.

Load the router with DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) and set it up as a repeater bridge. This is how I connect my PLC equipment to my wireless network.