4-20MmA Wiring question

MATT116

I've been tasked with hooking up / wiring a Watson Marlow qdos30 universal pump. Attached is a screen shot of the wiring diagram. I need to use pin 1 run/stop and pin 3 4-20mA. I'm a little confused since both connections share the same GND (0V). The run/stop will be coming from a 1756-OB32 getting power from a 24v power supply and the 4-20 from a 1756-OF8. I guess I don't understand how it will work since the 1756-OF8 is getting its 24v from the chassis backplane. How can both these connections to the pump reference the same 0V pin4???

Thanks

qdos30.jpg

Yes, it's similar to a system that needs a 5 VDC, 12 VDC, +-10 VDC, 24 VDC, and 48 VDC power supplies and all the 0 VDC wires are tied to a common (often earth ground) point. No harm in that (until it causes you problems).

Your 1756-OF8 module probably does not come out of the box with the -24 VDC connected to ground. Check the user manual before you do connect that. The ControlLogix 1756-OF8 has non-isolated channels that have the RTN terminal connected together internally.

Using different voltage supplies on other non-isolated modules has been known to cause interference problems at times. There is a 1756-OF6CI Isolated Module available. That would help to prevent signal interference between the voltage levels.

If you do tie the RTN terminals to a common ground, make sure that that ground terminal measures 0 volts between it and the other remote -24 VDC power supply terminal. Some ground systems are worse than others, and that could cause a problem.

Last edited: