Communication between CompactLogix and Modbus protocol Devices

minaykha

Hi, Anyone can help me?

I need to make compactLogix PLC program to communicate with the modbus device( SEL, Intelligent Motor Protection Relay ) over the modbus protocol.

Is Compact Logix support Modbus protocol without putting a Prosoft Hardware modules ?

I want to communicate compact logix PLC with the modbus devices without the use of any hardware module, by writing the read and write functions for modbus in ladder logic program.

I don't know where to start, Can anyone give me a guideline ? Thank.

Not that i am aware of. Ive asked myself why don't these big name manufactures make their own modules but i guess its a business decision or something else. Another thing you should also figure out is what kind of modbus protocol your modbus devices support, is it Modbus TCP/IP, RTU, etc.... I think prosoft is your best bet but you need to verify and understand what type of modbus protocol your field devices support first.

I very strongly recommend the Prosoft modules or another Ethernet/Modbus RTU bridge device.

ControlLogix and CompactLogix controllers do not have native support for Modbus RTU, Modbus ASCII, or Modbus/TCP protocols.

There are sample programs that implement Modbus via the serial port of the controller; they are included in the Sample programs that are installed along with RSLogix 5000.

This program is also available in the RA Knowledgebase as Answer ID # 42662:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42662

In addition there is a document that describes this examples in detail, Rockwell Automation Publication CIG-AP129A:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/cig-ap129_-en-p.pdf

While these example programs have been around for about 10 years, and are very well documented, I still don't use them because they consume too much memory and cannot be used with modern ControlLogix and CompactLogix that do not have RS-232 serial ports.

you will save yourself alot of headache if you use something like a red lion datastation plus or a digi one iap, that is if you are dead set against using the prosoft due to pricing.

I agree that using a module as other have suggested is a better approach, but they do have sample code to do modbus TCP on the Rockwell Sample code website, just search for "ControlLogix/CompactLogix Modbus TCP Program" on the sample code website.

Thank to you all for replies and info,

I looked into sample programs and found that it is too much complicated if compare to logix500.

i wondering why this type of application can be done easily with logix500 controller but not with logix5000 controllers.

I had an old project using Micrologix1400.
I used Msg instruction to communication with Modbus (TCP/IP) devices via Ethernet Switch.The program is simple and get the job done easily.

Now my boss want me to upgrade the same project by using Compactlogix and i found the different story.

No choice, Once i have no budget from my management for external modules, such as prosoft, i need to try with software code first.
Try my luck.:(

It's a learning experience, I suppose. MicroLogix has some built-in Modbus features and CompactLogix doesn't.

I use MicroLogix 1400 for just one of my machines for exactly this reason; there's another device that requires Modbus/TCP and it's included in the MicroLogix 1400 Series B controller.

Be sure to keep track of the time you spend testing this logic implementation and compare that cost to the hardware cost of the Prosoft module.