AB High Speed Counter with Encoder

GregoryCA

Hello,
I am an engineering student and I am having difficulties connecting a Yaskawa SGMAH servo motor encoder to a AB Controllogix High Speed Counter Card. The AB manual shows an example where only the data outputs of the encoder are directly wired to the card. The encoder has an external 5VDC supply. My question is: how do you wire the HSC? I have attached a screen shot of the manual example.
Any support would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

Capture.jpg

The encoder (incremental or absolute) is typically connected directly to the servo amplifier. As shown in the manual here in section 3.5.1 the connection from the encoder to the amplifier is shown.

In section5.2.3 it details how the output from the amplifier can be used by a controller.

Thank you Bernie for your swift reply.
As part of our 'learning' experience we are not able to use a servo amp but must use a VFD for motor control and HSC for feedback thru a PLC. I will review the manual you kindly referenced and will see if i can glean anything from it. Thanks again.

It appears that the communication from the encoder to the amp may be serial. I don't see enough connections on the encoder wiring to account for normal quadrature incremental encoder.

The 'Incremental Encoder' at 3.5.1 shows power going into the encoder on terminals (1) and (2) and two signals on (5) and (6) which I take to be the 'A' and 'B' clocks. You should be able to use these as signals with the PG0V (2) common being attached to the low pin (RET) of the HSC terminals.

The 'Absolute Encoder' on the next page is indeed a 'serial' type encoder.

Bernie, the section 3.5.2 shows the CN2 Encoder connections:

Pin Signal Function

1 PG 5V PG power supply +5V
2 PG 0V PG power supply 0V
3 BAT (+) Battery (+) (For an absolute encoder)
4 BAT (-) Battery (-) (For an absolute encoder)
5 PS PG serial signal input
6 /PS PG serial signal input

And it doesn't differentiate between an incremental and absolute. That's why I believe both are serial ...

Of course the question is not the amplifier inputs (which he isn't using) but which encoder is in the servo motor he will be using. If it is an absolute/serial type then the HSC is not an appropriate input module.

Thanks again Bernie,
I will research if a different input module may be available for us to use.
Thanks for the help!
G

Gregory, you'll have to understand the output format of the Yasaka encoder. If it's an incremental, two-channel, square-wave, quadrature signal with a Z-marker then you can wire it to the HSC card as shown. (I don't think you'd need to use the Yasaka 5V power supply as I think the HSC card sources 5V). You'll need to know the cycle resolution (feedback cycles per rev) and the cycle interpolation (feedback counts per cycle).

If it's an absolute encoder, you'll need to know the format, usually binary, or grey code.

Gregory it will depend on the motor that you have. I think motors paired with the SigmaII drives and up, Yaskawa used serial encoders as a standard for both incremental and absolute. You can find older yaskawa motors/drives (SigmaI era) that were not serial. Attached a few images of the connections if your motor is one without the serial encoder.

If it is Serial then you need a converter like Bernie mentioned. I have used a converter Yaskawa sells for Linear scale to Serial conversion(attached image). You may contact Yaskawa and see if the recommend a Serial to quadrature pulse converter.

Yaskawa Encoder CN2.jpg Yaskawa Serial Encoder CN2.PNG SigmaI_Incremental.jpg SigmaI_Absolute.jpg Linear to Serial Converter.jpg