Could use some AB SLC Series Analog input troubleshooting help

Russ

Lifetime Supporting Member
A unit I work on experienced a lightening strike, andthis resulted in a number of failures. However, I'm puzzled about one issue..

The unit uses an pressure transmitter that generates a 4-20mA signal that goes to a 4-channel analog input in the SLC rack. After the lightening strike, the plant found the thermocouple input card had failed. After replacing this card, they noticed the PLC was generating an out-of-range fault for that transmitter. The normal scaling on that transmitter's input is 3277-16383. The value at the input itself was around 1930. The device is hart-compatible, and when connecting the communicator to it, the transmitter itself appears to be working well - it is generating the appropriate mA output for the static pressure it was seeing. There were no alarms. Everything looked normal. However, the analog input was still out-of-range.

Now here's the weird thing....they replaced the analog card (with a sued card), and also replaced the backplane, and still have the same behavior.

At this point, it appears that the transmitter is working properly, and is generating a signal, yet it's not being read by the analog inputs. There was one spare channel on the card. When i moved the analog input to that free channel, the value I saw was 32,767. 2 other analog inputs are being used on that card, and both are working fine. My next step during the coming weekend is to move this input to one of the other 2 inputs I know is still working properly. Unfortunately I can't do that now because the unit is running.

One last thing I'm also going to look at, is: when they replaced the card, they replaced it with one that is at least 12 years old. I don't know if in one of the earlier revisions of the card there might be a switch or jumper in there I need to change....but one thing is for sure, I will be using a NEW card to replace this one as one of my next steps.

Any recommendations for anything else I could look at?

Have you checked the milliamp signal with a meter in series with the card at the card?

Dip switches? Can you tell us which card you have? Some have them some don't.

Did you have to reload the program? Did you go online to double check the card's configuration?

Last edited:
Do you have a 4 to 20mA source you could use to check each individual analogue input as a test, as well as using the actual instruments and measuring in-line their mA signal, then at least you could verify if all the channels are working?

Select a suitable current range on your multimeter and put the leads directly across the 4-20mA input terminals on the input card. The input impedance of the multimeter is much lower than the typical 250 ohms of the SLC analog input so most of the current will pass through the meter giving a quite accurate reading.