PowerFlex 753 Help

dhuggins88

Hello all. This is the first time I am controlling a 753 via ethernet(20-comm). I have used them via HIM keypad for a year or so, therefore I am decently familiar with them. I am way past the point of adding the drive in studio 5000 and programming and using plant PAX objects or just using the :)I and :O) tags that are automatically populated when you add this drive under the ethernet tab in studio. That is not the problem. I just cannot seem to get connected to the drive properly to test my objects and control. This drive has been sitting on my desk for 2 days now. I got connected yesterday and changed what felt like 100 different parameters to achieve this so I really did not learn the proper way to set this drive up out of the box or did I figure out what parameters made it work.
This morning I reset the drive parameters to default and started a brand new program. I got the program all ready to go then I followed the pdf (along with the other 20 rockwell pdfs open on my browser) showing how to setup the 20comme module online. I went through and now I am getting the same problems as yesterday. When I connect to drive I get the

"Ports do not match between the project and the drive. Cannot change ports while online. Therefore cannot open online view.

Online port 1 20-HIM-x6
Project port 1 missing"

I am almost positive I know what is happening but I don't know how to fix it. The program is obviously looking at port 1 but my 20-com-e is on port 6 or at least that is what the HIM is showing. I have read through the manuals but cant seem to figure it out. Can someone give me guidance here. I can see the drive in my rslinx (used bootp then disabled). If I did not give enough information just reply and I will gladly respond with information needed. I guess I am needing help with what are the bare necessities for communication with my L33ER compactlogix. If I can just get correlated with the drive I can figure the rest out. Thanks in advance and sorry for rambling.

The way I usually do this is:

WHILE OFFLINE:
Open the drive properties of the drive of interest from the I/O tree
Open the module definition section (click "Change")
Select "Match Drive" from the lower left corner
There will be a selection of whether to include the network settings or not. If you have datalinks designed into the drive, deselct upload network settings. If you don't it doesn't matter much.
L5K will have you select the desired drive, will upload everything about that drive and will update your project with that information. When this finishes, you will download the program (which now has a modified drive I/O object) to the plc. Go online, open the drive properties, select the drive tab and connect to the drive. Upload the drive and you should be good.

Keith

Thank you for the quick response!

The problem I ran into was I did have custom datalinks and whenever I would select MATCH DRIVE after I configured datalinks it would start uploading config then give me an error saying unable to match to online drive failed to create online drive.
Also I did not see a "deselect upload network settings" all it said was "include I/O" and "allow fast upload" with a box to select or deselect them..
I think maybe my problem is adding the datalinks before matching the drive that's online?

If all you are interested in is establishing communication you shouldn't need to worry about that stuff for now.

Once you have the hardware definitions matched up (create database/match drive) and the drive correlated, which will include a download of the datalinks to the drive, you should be communicating. Have you gotten all the way down this path or did some piece of it fail?

Keith

Keith I got it!! I think what was hosing it up was I was trying to make all the changes before matching the drive. I started fresh again and reset to defaults. After I gave it the ip through bootp I then matched it and it went smoothly. I then added the data links then correlated it and it took those as well.. There is alot of things going on in this drive such as prog/oper acquiring prog pcmd all that jazz. However I think it is smooth sailing from here. Thank you very much sir!!

PS: If you have any do's and dont's on this drive or any other input control wise I would greatly appreciate hearing those.

Keith I did run across one more question. Is there not a direct output or logic command to write my speed reference to? I looked through the :I and :O data and also the Outputs of the datalinks and did not see a parameter that matched speed reference or anything like that. Maybe I'm not associating the correct name.

I bit late to reply to this post. I have been able to configure the drive and i have completed my program for the speed control. Since it is my first project using a drive, i am skeptical if it will work or not.

Can I share my code and get you guys check it for me? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee