Tools of the Trade, the entire list

Very nice list. I do like the understanding wife part.

My theory on field testing in a strange place is that if I use more than 20% of what I packed, then I did not bring enough stuff.

A few additions
- Phone number for florist to send flowers when you cancel dinner.
- A credit card or two with a healthy expense account.
- A fed ex account number so you can send everything home when you are done and not have to drag it home through an airport.
- Smile when your wife/husband says she wants to go out to dinner as soon as you get home from two weeks of restaurant food.
- A working cell phone service area.

Other important items
- Location of nearest hardware store and Radio Shack. Hope the Radio Shack still carries bits and pieces and the salesman understands what a RS232 adapter is.
- A series of packing lists to make sure you remembered that one essential little Allen wrench/fuse or special little widget.
- Walmart, Target or the local countries equivalent to get a cheap cooler with ice (No beer, just water, ice and lunch)
- More than opne change of clothes. (I had to stop and buy clothes after being in some nasty places.)

We used to have a drill I called a scavenger hunt, The object of the game was find something to serve a given (but strange) purpose, do it in a city/town/desert you have never seen before, and get it working before daylight tomorrow when the test is scheduled, and every store for the next 20 miles closes in 15 minutes.

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist, I do plan to make use of your list.