Profibus Network Question

JDCROCKETT724

I am trying to get my S7-315, a TP1200 Comfort Panel, and another profibus device to all communicate. I am using S7 V5.5 for the PLC and TIA for the HMI. I have found that if I set my profibus connection to "not networked" that my HMI will talk to my PLC without a problem, but when I put in my profibus network to add my second device the communication to the HMI is lost. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong here? Attached are some screen shots.

PLCTALK_1.JPG PLCTALK_2.JPG PLCTALK_3.jpg

A couple of questions:

Why on your first picture do you show two DP networks?
Why not use the Ethernet/Profinet connection for the TP1200?

I was trying to setup a new network to see if that would solve the problem. The customer wishes to reserve the Ethernet/Profinet connection for the Plant Network. That leaves me with using the profibus to communicate to the PLC. I have done this before for the same customer using the same HMI and PLC. Just for some reason as soon as I network the connection I lose my HMI.

Have you triple checked that there is no dual addresses? Have you triple chekced bus end termination?

ps. why does plc have two wthernet network connections and you cant use one?

pSS. wtf. why dont you add tp1200 to same ethernet where this vision system is??

Last edited:
Decide which network you want the HMI on.
The Profinet IO connection would be the best.
If you really have to use DP, fix the settings in the HW manager:
- Delete the unwanted DP
- Configure the DP - will there be any other devices on it?
Configure the TP1200 to match the DP network.

The HMi should really be on the PN network.

Turp:
There are no dual addresses. The HMI talks profibus fine when I leave my DP connection "not networked" and the PLC node at 2 and the HMI node at 1. Termination resistors don't change when I add a profibus network. Adding the profibus connection disables my connection some how. As I stated before the TP1200 profinet is reserved for another subnet to the customers plant network. The devices on the machine are isolated from the plant network. So I need the profibus connection to the PLC.
Thanks for all your helpful comments.

Mike:
I agree, the profinet connection would be best, but my hands are tied. Profinet for the customers plant network IP addresses, profibus for me. As I stated before I already have this configuration up and running on 5 other machines. For some reason this one is giving me trouble. I deleted both DP networks and created a new one without a successful connection.

Do you have a means of browsing the DP network?
Do all the devices show up on Accessible Nodes?

My HMI is programmed in TIA. It communicates to my PLC without problems until I add a profibus network. Then it stops. So it is as simple as this: When the PLC has a profibus network with nothing on it the HMI does not communicate to the PLC. When the PLC is set to "not networked" the HMI communicates to the PLC. So how does adding a network shut down my HMI communications? That is all I am changing.

I figured it out. Once a network is created on the step 7 side you must select a profibus subnet in the device view in TIA for the HMI. Then you have to go to the Network View to see the settings of the profibus network you created in the device view. From there you have to set the S7 Subnet ID so that it matches the subnet ID in the hardware configuration on the PLC side. Finally you go to the HMI connections and set the baud rate to 1500000 since the default is 187k, and Step 7 defaults to 1.5Mbps. If you don't have a profibus network configured on the PLC side then the communications works without having to do all this.

Well that was easy.......:geek:

Thanks for letting us know how you resolved it.
I wonder if just changing the baud rate would have fixed it?

So you are saying they have network from plant side for hmi's that is not same network that is connected to plc through cp343-1 that says plc01-plant?

Turpo: I see what you are saying now. The CP343 card was added later on, so I suppose I never gave it much thought. I will keep this in mind for future projects.