Have to buy 48 pressure transducers?

ganutenator

Lifetime Supporting Member
Anyone else using a schneider OsiSense sensors and told that they have to start buying them in bulk?

We are using XML-G100D23.
a 0 - 100 bar ip67 4/20 pressure transducer.

Anyone know who makes these for schneider?

They are aprox. $100 our cost each. We bought aprox. 12 last year.

48 would cost us $4800 up front.

We are being told to use the XMLP sensor instead. But are afraid to swap out a part that has been working flawlessly.

Anyone else having this problem?

For low cost "commodity" pressure transmitters where things like Hart are not required I have been using a Swiss company called Trafag for years and have found them excellent. They have a US website http://www.trafag.us/ so I assume that they are available over there.

I have seen huge discounts offered when buying certain parts in bulk, but not sure how much they will break off for you on that sensor. I have seen 65% off when buying things like stainless steel disconnects by the hundreds though. Ask your local distributors (emphasis on plural) for a special discount if you buy them all at once and see what they can do.

My guess is that Schneider is forcing the local distributor to buy that many at a time in order to maintain pricing or just because some MBA figured out that it was more economical for Schneider to sell in that quantity.

There are some possibilities beyond finding an alternate component:

Offer your distributor a blanket PO with quarterly releases. It will probably affect your pricing but will help your cash flow.

I don't think Schneider protects distributor territories the way some manufacturers do. Search around until you find one that has other customers using the same component and see if they have a more realistic order quantity.

It appears that part number is discontinued. They are probably quoting those parts as a custom build and require you to purchase a whole production run at once.
You might contact Transducers Direct in Cincinnati to see if they have an equivalent part.

f you can change the part number...what are the applications?

I have used these successfully in many applications, except for high pressure NH3 with surges I did have a failure mainly due to the connector in a high temp washdown freezer, I think the hardwired replacement sensor solved that problem, but everywhere else they did fine:

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc...eramic_Sensing_Element_-_M12_Cable_Connection