Printing Logic

Shirish Patel

S
Hi, Guys,

I am trying to print out selected rungs & tasks of the program in RSLogix 5000 and as usual our userfriendly software is not let me do it. How can I print selected rungs or tasks from the program? I would appriciate suggestions.

Thanks.

Instead of sending the whole file to the printer, you should have the capability to "Send to File" (Look at your printer window in your Programming Interface).

You might have to play games to find the right file-TYPE.

I usually send it out to a ".TXT" file. Then open in WORD.

The file might actually be an RTF (Rich Text Format) type. You can open it in WORD. You might need to convert the FONT to MSLINE_DRAW.

Once you do that, you can print the selected area.

You won't be able to save it because WORD does funny things with RTF when it saves them. That is, you can save it, but it will not look like what you are trying to save.

If I need to do something like that, I usually copy and paste the rungs/tasks to a newly created application. The rung numbers will obviously not be the same, but if you are printing, you can make a few corrections!!

If you goto File then Report Options if I am not mistaken you can set the Program File option to print JUST Those rungs you want. Goto Report Options then clik on Program Files then choose the Ladder(s) and input the rungs you want(remove ALL).

no easy way

There is no easy way of doing this as far as I know.

I have two ways of doing it:
1. Export all of your tags to .CSV (spreadsheet) file.
Import these tags into a new temp file.
Then copy and paste rungs that you intend to print out.
Note - you cannot copy and paste without having the tag
database in your temp file first!
Do the print.

2. If your application is small, copy your app into a new file
and then delete the rungs you don't need and do the print.

I think that AB needs to address this issue (unless it has been
fixed in V10.x and higher I'm using V8.x)

What do you say Ken?

I am curious now, is RSLogix5000 that much different from 5/500 that it doesnt have the same Report options?

I stated the above because I know you can pick and choose what to print with RSLogix 5/500 thru Report options. This pertains mainly to rungs in this case(not sure what is meant by task...is that term specific to 5000?).

Just curious, I have no idea if I will ever use or have a 5000 system but I try to watch/learn about these kind of things.

rsdoran said:
I am curious now, is RSLogix5000 that much different from 5/500 that it doesnt have the same Report options?

I stated the above because I know you can pick and choose what to print with RSLogix 5/500 thru Report options. This pertains mainly to rungs in this case(not sure what is meant by task...is that term specific to 5000?).

Just curious, I have no idea if I will ever use or have a 5000 system but I try to watch/learn about these kind of things.

I know you can do it in RSLogix 5/500, But 5000 is quite a bit different! :)
Thats why I posted my way of doing it above.

I don't think so

93lt1,
I have a Version 8 of RSLogix5000. I am not able to print out the
ladder after simply copying it to a new temp file without importing
the tag data base first.
The problem is that the 'Print Options' will always demand tag
cross reference option, you simply cannot de-select that.
You can initiate the printing but nothing will happen since
the program tries to generate the tag cross reference on the data base
that does not exist. So it sits there forever locked in a loop.
Am I missing something here?
Could you please clarify this?

Thanks

Your original question: "How can I print selected rungs or tasks from the program?" ... in RSlogix5000.

I remember reading a suggestion in one of these forums - but I can't find it now, so I'll have to pass this along without proper credit:

If you have a copy of Adobe Acrobat (not just the free reader), you can "print" the whole project report to that - which makes a PDF-type file. Then you can open that file and decide which specific pages you want to actually print on paper.

I just tried it ... it works.

And yes, RSLogix5000 is vastly different from RSLogix5 and RSLogix500. In fact it's actually written by a completely different group of programmers. Rumors say that this is going to change (for the better) at some time in the (hopefully) near future.

Here's another trick I use (with RSLogix 5/500, don't know about 5000) if it's only a couple of rungs:

Click to select the rung (or cursor to the left power rail).

Ctrl+C (or right click and select copy)

In MSWord, go to the Edit menu and select Paste Special (CTRL+V does NOT do what you want). Select Paste As Bitmap (uncheck the "Float over text" box).

Presto - the rung is in a Word document. You can add all the commentary text you want.

Alternatively, if you can just paste into Paint (another trick - before you paste, set your attribute to 1x1 pels (pixels). When you paste, you will be asked if you want to resize the image based on the paste size. Say "Yes", and you will have a bitmap the exact size of the WHOLE RUNG in RSLogix (even if it's too small to fit on a single screen!)

Unfortunately, this trick only works one rung at a time. If you select multiple rows, you will only be able to paste the ASCII, not the bitmap.

I prefer this method to screen captures (hint to those who capture RSLogix screens), because it automatically resizes rungs for your (in a Word paste, anyway), and you don't have the "red box" indicating current cursor postition.

But it does take a touch more work (although it's quick once you get used to it.)

Jiri-
I do not currently have version 8 loaded, but I do have version 7 and version 10 loaded. I was able to do it in both, and it worked the same in both.

Copy rung(s) in application.
Close the application.
Open new application, call it "test", say its a 5550 CLGX proc.
Open the main routine
paste rung(s).
Click on the print icon.
Wait for printer to complete.
Pick up papers that just came out of printer.
Look at copied rungs from the other application.

Note: I did no tag configuration. If the printout requires accurate values be in INT, DINT, REAL, etc. Then you would have to configure tags. Printed without configuration, question marks appear.

Note: I did not go into "print options"