VFD and Beckhoff

shawnhimself

I need recommendations on who makes a VFD that plays nice with Beckhoff IPC's.

I realize I could do it with analog outputs but considering there will be 10+ drives I'm looking for something over coms instead. (If possible)

Look at Anybus modules(www.hms.se).
They have gateways between ethercat and profibus, modbus, ...

We use the ethercat-modbus tcp version with Schneider Altivar inverters.
You can also use Altivars with the modbus tcp card installed and connect them directly to a cx5020 for example. On the cx5020 you can then use the Modbus tcp library from Beckhoff.

Problem is that you can lose connection to the inverters when you have a big program and do online changes a lot.

Bye

lenze talks codesys, same as beckhoff does.
also mitsubishi and 200 others talk codesys, if new go for Version 3
very easy implementation

If for any reason you want to go with Schneider and CANOpen. You must know the only ones from that brand that are reliable in terms of CANOpen are the ATV71 drives... anything smaller 31, 312, ... is not working as expected due to a BIG software bug they have...

It looks like the CANOpen slave starts automatically without receiving the command from the CANOpen master (PLC). This can leave you in a state in which you could not start a machine due to a different missing drive each time...

:(

If you could keep EtherCAT stay there, easy wire checking and easy topology.

I've never used them with EtherCAT, but Danfoss offers an EtherCAT interface for their drives.

Also I have never tried it, but I was told the Beckhoff servo drives can function as a simple VFD with a induction motor.

I have looked at the Control Techniques EtherCAT option and liked it but did not use it.
I have used Beckhoff AX5000 drives as regular VFDs driving asynchronous motors. Just make sure you set the motor parameters correctly and that Version 2 drives are used

I've used Beckhoff with Danfoss VFDs through modbusRTU. Wasn't the easiest to set up, but it's been running fine on 10+ projects ever since.

After adding etherCAT and safety options to all the 3rd party drives - the Beckhoff AX5000 ended up being more cost effective. So that's the route I am going. Interesting that they don't market this feature unless you ask about it.

After adding etherCAT and safety options to all the 3rd party drives - the Beckhoff AX5000 ended up being more cost effective. So that's the route I am going. Interesting that they don't market this feature unless you ask about it.
I'm very interested in how their drives work as a simple VFD, so keep us posted.

I have programmed a system with about 40 asynchronous motors and four servo motors. They are programmed pretty much like a servo except I used MC_MoveVelocity or MC_Jog to move them. With MC_MoveVelocity, you will need MC_Halt to stop motion. WIth MC_Jog in MC_JOGMODE_CONTINOUS mode, control is simpler by just enabling and disabling the jog inputs but you cannot modify speed while running.

I recommend that you get version 2 drives. Let us know if you have any questions.

hello everyone, have anyone tried connecting emerson servo drive(DST) and Omron NJ Controller? Will it communicate via Ethercat?

Last edited: