rslinx lite will not connect to a 1747-L40A

mer

im trying to connect rslinx to a 1747-L40A im using a 1747-pic rs232 interface cable with a serial port on the pc ..on driver types in linx i choose 1747-pic/aic+driver hit add new from here im in the dark as far as station # ?? and max station # ?? so i hit ok and it gives me a message...cannot create new pic device when rslinx is running as a service..To create a new pic device in rslinx ,run rslinx as a normal application an the create the device ...Any insight would be a awesome help Thanks dave.

mer,

sounds like you have rslinx running as soon as the pc starts.
on your pc, click start > all programs > rockwell software > rslinx > rslinx classic launch control panel. a pop up icon will should appear. uncheck the always run as service box and stop rslinx.
reboot your pc to clear out the current drivers that exist.

you should then be able to configure your device. NOTE, once the driver starts, it owns that com port. if you need to use it for something else, you must reboot your pc - easiest way.

if i am mistaken, someone please correct me.

regards,
james

Go to the windows start menu for RSLinx click on RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel. Then uncheck "Always Run as a Service".
To start RSLinx create a desktop icon or use the start menu.

The station number in RSLinx should be different then your PLC.

Edit: James types faster then I do.

rrslinxlaunchcontrol.png

awesome guys thanks

thanks a million guys its talking but this plc is password protected and was installed back in 1991 is their anyway around this its asking for a password or master password any ideas..again thanks for the help..

Is this a working PLC? Do you need the program that is in it?

Password hacking is a taboo subject here.

Rockwell can supply you a workaround to the password. But you have to call Tech Support and fill out some paperwork to indemnify them.

But, if you don't need the current program in the unit, you can remove the battery or the memory module and cycle power. This will erase the contents of the unit though so be sure!

OG

no hacking

this is a plc where i work it is a 91 model machine and the company that makes it is out of business ...it is working right now but we had some safety switches short-out and burned out several outputs for now we have them jumpered but have a used plc ordered and was trying to download the program to put in the new one no hacking/stealing going on Dave..

If it is that old, and has never been backed up, it likely has a memory module, in which case, transferring the memory module to the replacement unit will allow you to transfer the program and keep the line running without having to tamper with the protection. If you want to upgrade and need to view or edit the code, Rockwell will help you as already said.

Last edited: