Save Logix Designer V21 as RSLogix V20???

nnelson610

Is there a way to save a program created in Logix Designer V21.00 as a version that can be opened in RSLogix V20.03 and download to a L72S with 20.xxx firmware?

I am trying to avoid using V21 because none of the other engineers can get it to install and run on their laptops (probably due to corporate network security, admin rights, etc.)
I want the other engineers to be able to access this piece of equipment if necessary.

If you have got V21 installed on a computer, then there is a way you can it.

You will need to export the V21 as an L5K.

Open this L5K file in something like notepad.

Then you will see at the top there is a line which contains the version number.

You also have to change the Import/Export version from 2.12 to 2.11.

Then open the new modified L5K file in RSLogix V20 and you should be good to go.

I have done this a few times and never had a problem.

Cheers

Mark

One addition......

When you go to open the .L5K file in Logix v20, it will launch the import so it can be converted back to the .ACD format. Since it was created and saved in v21, it will want to import it as v21 unless you specifically tell it otherwise. Down on the bottom is a drop down where you can select v20 and then Open (import).

Also....be VERY careful about using v20.03. That version has warnings on the RA web site letting you know that only other users with v20.03 will be able to communicate with that controller. If a user has say 20.00.03 they will be unable to go online with that controller.

In the past, the minor revision of the software was not an issue as long as you had the same major revision of software. Version 20.03 and 21.03 warn you that this is not the case for those specific versions. Make sure the other engineers are using the same revision software. Or, do as I do and use 20.00.03 which does not have this restriction.

OG

Thanks!!
This worked perfectly.

Yes, we know about the issue with 20.03.
Mainly for reasons out of our control, the choice was made to standardize on 20.03. All of our engineers have 20.03 so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Thanks for the warning though. Hopefully someone else on here reads it and takes advantage.