Crimson Firware update

Brijm

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just curious if anyone else has ran into this, and if anyone has found a solution.

On our newer laptops we are running crimson in a windows XP VMware, and using a Keyspan USA-19HS USB Serial adapter. Lately specifically, on kadet 2 series HMI's, when updating firmware on a new screen, it freezes up part way through the download. It is always on the same block number, although I can't remember which at the moment.

Anyone else have this problem? Currently, I need to use an old laptop with a real serial port, in order to update the firmware. After that, I can download fine over the USB to Serial. Any ideas?

I carry a memory card writer (combo CF and SD) with me in case the download is hanging. I make sure whenever I am getting ready to go onsite that I have that USB CF/SD writer with me: been burned before when the Red Lion refuses to download.

I write the image to the CF or SD card, pop it in and let the Red Lion update via CF/SD. Woops - just noticed you said Kadet - I don't know if the Kadet allows firmware updates from its SD card...

Last edited:
I don't think the Kadet will use the SD card at all. Also, I don't think that you can update over Ethernet, until you download the database initially.

Does anyone know if the G307K2 supports the SD card yet? I just programmed one yesterday but am on the road away from it. I did set up a data log though, and would like to use the image.cdi method for future Bubba style cloning when I start putting these little bad boys into service all over the state.

I noticed this on Red Lion's site:
attachment.php

But, there is no mention in the revision history.

It is not anything urgent, just mainly curiosity. I will find out for myself when I am back in our shop in a few days.

Paul

A year ago I went back and forth over email with someone from Red Lion about using the SD card to download a program to the G307. They seemed to believe that it was possible but I was never able to make it work.

I just verified this. With a G307K2, you can load the image from SD card. It must be named image.cdi.

I used the dipswitches to clear the database and then installed the 2GB Sandisk memory card with the image file on it and during boot, it verified the database and loaded and ran it.

Subsequent power cycles do not cause this to repeat, since the image file on the card already matches what is running.

It does not appear that I can "mount" the memory card over an ethernet connection. My past experience with the normal G3 HMI tells me a USB connection to the unit is required to "mount" the memory card.

Also, it does not appear that I can log data to the card. I do have a data log set up and it does work, but I am not sure where the data is actually stored. Since the Kadets do not support a web browser interface, I can't connect that way to browse log files as you would with the G3 or Graphite models. I will let this thing run over night, and see what shows up (if anything) on the memory card tomorrow by sticking it in my laptop.

Also, I noticed that when I configure the data log, some of the options are missing that you would see with a G3 model. (number of files, how long to retain them, etc.)

So, on the bright side, I can use the image file method for cloning with the G307K2.

I am using Crimson 3.0 Build 647.002

Last edited: