Cabinet Temp Sensing

Tim Ganz

I need to monitor the temperature inside the control cabinet and display it on the HMI as well as send an email if it gets too high. I have a Compactlogix L30 series processor running V21 and a PV + 6 1000 HMI and a Stratix 5700 switch.

I noticed the PV config screens have a temp display and the Stratix 5700 has one in the web setup. Is there anyway I can pull the temp data from either of these devices into the plc. Everything is connected via Ethernet.

I did that the old way, I installed an RTD inside the cabinet and connect it to one of my RTD modules of my plc. In my case i installed two of them one to measure external temp and one to measure internal temp.

I did that the old way, I installed an RTD inside the cabinet and connect it to one of my RTD modules of my plc. In my case i installed two of them one to measure external temp and one to measure internal temp.

Unfortunately I don't have any analog I/O or TC or RTD module and not enough room to add another module. If I can't pull temp info from one of the existing devices it's going to be involved as the cabinet is so tight it would be tough to cram a pack of cigarettes in there.

I've never used a Stratix switch before, but I know a lot of switch diagnostics can typically be pulled via SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol). Normally, this is used to monitor port status, packet errors, etc. It is possible the temp data is in there as well.

I have no clue, however, how one would set up an SNMP query in a CompactLogix. I've used a Siemens SNMP library for the S7-300's, but I don't have much AB experience.

If there is an OPC server on the network, they might have an SNMP channel you can use.

According to Rockwell, they do not have a PanelView system tag available for the temperature information. Would be nice if they did. Sorry, you'll have to find another way.

If you are only concerned about temperature rising/falling outside a range, you could always set up two temperature switches with N/O contacts and tie them to unused inputs.

Tim if the panel is that tight watch out for free air space around hardware. Several devices require 2" on all sides. Just watch out.

we use avtech room alert.

its ethernet based and monitors temp.

we also have (2) tripplite srcool12k portable ac units controlled by their srcoolnet monitors.

when the temp gets to high, the ac turns on, we get e-0mails and text messages.
you program the system to send alerts as long as the temp is above the setpoint.
you also can get an e-mail and text message telling you when the system is ok and about to turn off.

we have ours set to run for an hour when the temp is below the setpoint to keep the rack cool.

regards,
james