PLC5 Flash

The previous user might have attempted to load the incorrect Series firmware into the controllers, damaging them in the process.

This Forum member specifically asked if a PLC-5 Series C Firmware Revision D controller can be "flashed" to Firmware Revision E.2.

The specific answer is no, because there was never a Firmware Revision E.2 for the PLC-5 Series C controllers. There was a Firmware Revision E.2 for the PLC-5 Series D controllers, which are very similar.

The equivalent version for a Series C controller would be firmware revision N.2.

PLC-5 firmware revisions are not as easy as using ControlFlash on modern controllers. Rockwell Automation no longer sells a PLC-5 firmware upgrade kit for field use.

Instead, PLC-5 controllers can be sent through the Rockwell Automation remanufacturing process, during which they will be updated to the newest available firmware for their Series hardware.

For the 1785-L40B Series C controller, that will be firmware version U.2.

That's according to this RA Knowledgebase document describing the PLC-5 firmware revision history:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18946

If there is a specific reason you need a firmware revision that is not the current release, you need to arrange that specifically with Rockwell Automation.