DriveExecutive software

WTFSUNELECSUP

Does anyone here use DriveExecutive software, for Allen Bradley controls. We currently have RSNetworksfor DeviceNet, ControlNet and EtherNet.

The DNet is used for Allen Bradley DSAs, E3+, Ultra3K ServoDrives, Culter Hammer ECIOs,. Mits A740 VFDs.

The ControlNet is used for Mitsubushi A740 Vfds, some FLEX I/O

The Ethernet is used for Mits A740 VF, plus point I/O modules, Pavelview 1000s.

What are the advantages to using DriveExecutive software, compared to RSNetworks, can you get away from or atleast decrease the never ending licencing problems associated with multiple RockWell Software, such as RSNetworks (x3)?

What are the other advantages, and does it still offer full access.

My current understanding, is that Drive Executive, is only used with the Allen Bradley PowerFlex 7, 700 VFDs, and is used to inferface the VFDs, we had a "new" electrician start last week and he offered a suggestion to try and use DriveExec for accessing the DSAs and E3+s used in the MCC, through CN2DNs or EN2DNs.

Last edited:
HI,
I use Drive Executive occasionally to interface with PowerFlex drives ( 4,40,70).

It is easy to use when setting up a new drive as far as setting parameters. Much easier than using the HIM. If the drive is also on one of the mentioned networks, sometimes the parameters are exposed through that network software interface. I have setup drives using RSNetworks for devicenet & I think the Drive Executive is better.

I've never used any "DSAs and E3+s used in the MCC, through CN2DNs or EN2DNs." So your on your own with that. The drive tools package is not too costly (less than $1000). No negative licensing issues to deal with that I experienced, easy to load & run. I had to also purchase the USB communication device, 1203-USB I think it was. It came with cables & user manual.

BD

Drive executive is for setup, programming and troubleshooting of drives. RS Networks is for setting up and troubleshooting networks. It' like comparing an apple pie to a hamburger.

Drive executive is for drives only. Rockwell drives only but it pretty much covers all of them from that you would normally find in service today. The 1305,1336,160 stuff to the newer 755 and on.

If you are using logix plc's and newer drives it's better to setup the drives using logix 5000. You can still use drive execute to make a secondary backup if you want even when using logix 5000.

If I am not mistaken, there is a version of Drive Executive that you get when you download some other free software at ab.com. I want to say it was either Ultra Master software or similar that included it as part of the zip.

At my last job, we had a lot of drives on devicenet networks and a few on ethernet. We added a EN2DN node to each D-Net network for ease of access and used both RSNetworx and Drive Exec. for troubleshooting, making backups etc. RSNetworx is not built for just drives, so the interface is more generic, but required in Devicenet networx to program the scanner more than anything else, but there are a multitude of different types of devices the GUI might encounter.

Drive Executive is all about drives so it offers time saving and helpful tools specifically for that. The main thing I liked was the access to help for details on every parameter. Drive Executive, once the drive database is built for your drives, is faster to connect through ethernet and devicenet and gives you access basically to the user manuals hyperlinked to the live parameter data making drive setup much more user friendly.

Some drives support a graphical function block diagram view of the drive too. This is really handy if you have a complicated setup and 8 different things might be causing a drive not to start. The graphical view makes it stand out like a false contact in ladder logic. So if you work with the drives a lot for commissioning and troubleshooting, Drive Executive is going to serve you better than having to upload parameters through RSNetworx.

I have Drive Executive, and it has been a nice tool to have in the past. However, it seems to be aging with little work being done to it. Connected Component Workbench is free and offers alot of the same functions that Drive Executive traditionally has.

I have Drive Executive, and it has been a nice tool to have in the past. However, it seems to be aging with little work being done to it. Connected Component Workbench is free and offers alot of the same functions that Drive Executive traditionally has.

Just keep in mind, CCW is not supporting obsolete products such as 1305, 1336 etc. It is for Powerflex only. On the plus side, CCW supports more than just VFDs, it also programs the Micro800 line, it's HMIs and SMC soft starters.

I'm sorry to hear you are using the Allen Bradley SMC softstarters, we have retired all but one of ours, an MCC fire a couple years ago helped us out with that.

I recently attempted to talk to a 1336E drive with drive executive but its not working out to well. Drive Explorer works fine and I can succesfully talk to a Powerflex 40 no problem. But, the scan port drives do not work anymore on windows 10 64 bit any longer. Has anyone found a work around. I attempted to run as administrator but no go.

I was told by Allen Bradley tech support that the 1203-sss model communication device that has a DB9 end would work with older versions of windows but not windows 10. So, the VM suggested on older operating systems would work. The newer 1203-usb will work on windows 10 64 bit.