Opinion on Large Integrators versus Smaller Companies when it comes to New Graduates?

NewGrad.14

Hi all,

I am a recent Mechanical Engineering graduate who is very interested in a career in automation. I have been researching different plc integrators, as I've heard from multiple sources that the variety of tasks and systems worked on for the larger companies is invaluable to new engineers. I also have noticed some integrators offer training up front before you even begin working, which is enticing. I'm thinking this would be the preferable option than say, starting work with a distribution partner company, although there are probably more positions available for that option.

Can anyone with experience with some of the larger integrators offer their opinion on how they treat their entry level hires?

Thanks for your time.

Id say it would be best to go with a larger integrator. Most important, you should have resources to fall back on if you dont understand something. You can always move to a smaller integrator after a couple of years.

While the larger integrators and large companies provide stability, possible educational benefits, and good resume work experience, the smaller integrators and control houses sometimes provide invaluable experience with more individualized systems.

Working for a large integrator is demanding, but more broad in its scope. They could work with a number of different PLCs, Drives, control systems, and hardware. The smaller shops often work with only the type of system they deal with and have little experience outside of their own architecture.

Smaller shops often are less forgiving in hours and field work. They will work you as hard as they can, where ever they can, for as long as they can. Larger integrators usually have some limitations on the hours you should work, but often still pressure to get the work done...the old get more done in less time routine.

But as it was stated earlier...Its harder to get into a large company off the bat without knowing somebody on the inside and backing it up with a good educational resume.

The smaller houses offer more job opportunites.

I have been a controls engineer for 27 years, across many different industries, both domestic and global. This has been my observation.

My experience is that you are better off with a small firm. You will get more hands on experience, more on site time, and have the prospect of a more direct relationship with your mentor.

I'd suggest a different direction.

Try to start off in the Manufacturing arena. That is the route I took. Did that for almost 2 years then went to a small integration firm. Working in the a manufacturing facility taught me how to speak to the people operating the equipment, how to speak to the maintenance teams, and the importance of production.

It's the reason I can communicate to almost anyone on the plant floor without much issue. I understand their position as I was there once. Gives you perspective. Got me involved in all kinds of equipment. It's how I learned GE Fanuc as that was the standard. I knew I'd work with Rockwell at some point in my career, but it was nice to get a glimpse of another system.