How to connect Allen Bradley SLC 5/05 to PC using serial to Ethernet converter cable

vineet0487

I have an Allen Bradley SLC 5/05 in my location and I want to connect it to my PC to configure a new CPU 1747 L552 in its rack. But, the serial port of the PC is down and I do have a Serial to Ethernet cable available with me. So, as I am new to PLC's, I would like to know about how to connect Allen Bradley SLC 5/05 to PC using serial to Ethernet converter cable and how to configure it using it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vineet Kumar

Hi Vineet,

Is there a reason you can't just use a patch lead and connect directly to the Ethernet port of the 5/05? Saves an awful lot of configuring of ports and adapters...

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,
thanks for the quick reply. Actually, I have no idea about how to configure a new SLC 5/05 CPU. I can try with a new Ethernet patch cor but, need a guideline map for configuring the same, as I dont really know the default IP address of this new CPU which I would have to configure in RS LINX as an ETH_IP driver, i suppose.

It has been awhile since I have done a new 5/05 but I think you can set the IP using BootP and then once set disable BootP. My BootP software is located under Rockwell Software on my laptop.
Or you could use the serial port to get online and set it that way.

Hope this helps.

Thanks rob, found BOOTP under the Rockwell programs. Can you please also tell me how to use this application to configure and assign IP to it without actually knowing the default IP in the first place?

Vineet,

This is Rob, that was Bob!! ;-) BootP is a utility that will scan your network reporting any compatible devices it may find. Make a note of the MAC address of your 5/05, and once BootP detects this address, it should be possible to assign an IP address to it. As Bob said above, then disable BootP and restart the CPU (been a while since i've used BootP but in principle, that's the basic idea).

Regards,

Rob

Rob and Bob,
Thanks a lot both of you guys, BOOTP worked and IP has been assigned to it.
Now, the issue that is bothering me is that I am getting a 'Faulted' error in the SLC whenever I am trying to run the specific program. And, the error says 'Module 1 which is required for the user program is detected as missing or removed'.
Is there anything wrong with any of my I/O modules or is the processor itself faulty, which is least possible as processor is new. The same error has been showing with the other processor, in place of which I installed this new processor to see if the replaced processor was faulty.

Hi Vineet,

Glad you have successfully connected! Not sure whether you swapped out the CPU to try and alleviate your original Fault state, but that sounds rather an expensive option! What occupies module 1 currently? Would be surprised if it cost more than a replacement CPU. Have you tried removing and re-seating the card in slot 1? Can you substitute with a known working card of the same type? I have known the actual chassis to be faulty once or twice.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,
Actually I already had a spare new processor, so thought of checking whether the older one was faulty, which now seems that the fault might be any of the I/O modules. The original rack configuration is as:

S-0 S-1 S-2 S-3 S-4 S-5 S-6 S-7 S-8
Power Supply | CPU | DI | DI | - | DO | - | AI | - | - |

Now, according to this configuration can you please suggest to me which module would be 'Module 1' ??
Apparently, I don't have a substitute card for any of these modules except for power Supply. Kindly guide accordingly what to check further.

Vineet,

Module 1 will be slot 1 - the first DI shown on your description above (I:1/0-15). Can you try removing and refitting the module? Or, if module 1 & 2 are the same, could you swap them over and see if the fault moves with the module, or with the slot...

Regards,

Rob

Rob,
You have been a great support. thanks a lot man.
The fault moved to Module 2 as I moved the respective I/O module to slot 2 position.
Now, this faulty module would have to be sent to the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer), right or can we do something about it??

Hi Vineet,

You are welcome! (feel free to email me a cold one at anytime!!) 🍺

What is the module in question? Is it a standard module (e.g. IB/IA16 etc.)? There are several companies that supply replacement cards (depending on your area), or alternatively, you can locate a refurbished unit that will cost less. You will be surprised at what will appear if you just put the part number into ebay too!

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,
Yes, it is an 1746 IB-16 module.
Checked on ebay, around 50-60$ including shipping charges. But, all are either used or replenished. Will update you further.
Thanks a lot for the support. See you soon.

Hi Rob,
Good Morning!
Actually I have assigned it the IP using BOOTP, and now I am trying to load one program into this new Processor. Need some help regarding that.
Thanks!!