Is 1024ppr too high for Durant counter?

J-Tex13

Hello all... this a great forum and I've benefited from it's posts for some time. Up to now I've always found what I needed in other folks' posts, but have a new problem that I haven't seen something similar to. Hoping someone can shed some light on what I'm missing.. :confused:, so here goes...

Our company has several extrusion lines where we extrude various plastic profiles. On one of these lines, I am trying to configure one of the legacy counters to display an accurate product length by utilizing the encoder output of the motor that drives the "puller" at the end of the line. The encoder is 1024ppr, and the existing counter is an older Durant Ambassador Series. The problem is that the Durant has a "scaling factor" that must be set to account for input pulses it sees, and translate that into a count resolution of tenths of a foot. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that the Durant's scaling factor can resolve 1024ppr (too high) as I have been unable to get count accuracy close enough to use. (For instance, on 200' of material, the counter will say 216')

Does anyone have any experience with Durant counters and encoders that could make some suggestions? While I'd like to use what we have, I'd be open to another counter if someone has suggestions there as well.

Thanks in advance,

Have you looked at the 'Count Speeds' specification for your Durant counter? That specifies the maximum input frequency - which is possible to exceed with a 1024ppr encoder.

For example, say you have a model with the 20KHz 'high speed' solid state inputs. That would mean you could have a motor running at a maximum of 1200 RPM (which is 20 revolutions per second * 1024 ppr = 20 KHz). If its a quadrature encoder, you'll only be able to handle 400 RPM (6.5KHz). And if you are running at high frequencies, the wiring gets real important to ensure signal quality: you'll want to follow the encoder wiring instructions for the Durant, make sure your wires are short, not near any noise sources, and strongly consider shielded wire.

I'd put an oscilloscope on the counter inputs and make sure the signals look good: make sure the frequency is not too high, the high/low voltages are within the Durant spec, and that the signals don't look noisy.