slc 5/05 error unrecognized device

ansol

please I need help after power shutdown my slc 5/05 can not connect. on RSWho my slc 5/05 is showing unrecognized device. am quite new on this. i will appreciate help. i have followed the instruction on how to connect or configure slc giving it static ip on rslogix500 still having can not connect. pls.

To what device is your SLC 5/05 trying to connect? Is that unknown device back online with the same address as it had before the power shutdown? Is the cable to the unknown device still in place, has not been disconnected, or accidently cut?

@Lancie1 sorry for replying late. I cannot connect to my computer. I ping the slc but it will timeout. please help. I have checked the ip address it still correct the subnet is also correct but on computer and slc.

If you cannot PING the controller, and RSLinx shows the question mark and red X, then the controller is either not connected to your Ethernet network or is not configured correctly for that IP address.

It is possible that your controller was configured for BOOTP/DHCP automatic IP address assignment and is attempting to use BOOTP/DHCP to get a new IP address.

You should run the BOOTP/DHCP Utility (it is installed with RSLinx) and see if the controller is attempting to send out a BOOTP request.

It is also possible that the controller was damaged. Does your Ethernet switch have LEDs that can tell you the link status of the connection to the controller ?

@Ken thanks. Yes the enthernet have switch and the LED indicates that it is connected. This probelm happened when there was a serious power cut. the IP address was configured static using RSlix500. I have even changed the cables and the switch hoping that was the issue but the problem remains.

Even if the offline program shows that the IP address is static, it's possible that the actual loaded program was set for BOOTP/DHCP.

Just running the BOOTP/DHCP Server utility should show you if the controller is sending out BOOTP requests.

If I was in your shoes, I would get an RS-232 cable and try to go online with the controller via the RS-232 serial port using the DF1 Full Duplex driver in RSLinx. If you can successfully go online, you can examine the Ethernet port configuration directly.

Thanks very @ken and all, the problem has been resolved. My onboard Ethernet port was bad, after replacing it with a new network card and using BOOTP/DHCP server utility it was successful. I appreciate the great assistance offered me. Thanks again