Multi-Monitor HMI?

harryting

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just a general topic of discussion. What HMI package out there that support Multi-monitor? I suppose it's in their interest to sell you as much license as one got $ for but often time it's not worth it. Beside, I just want to maintain one PC rather than multiple PCs.

From this thread: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=86683 , WW seems to support at least 2 monitors.

Depends on what you want to do when you say multiple monitors.

Run 2 different instances on each monitor? OR Stretch the application across both?

You can use Inductive Automation's Ignition software. I am developing a project that will run 4 monitors in one office and 2 in another. They will run separate instances at each monitor, I'm not trying to stretch windows across multiple monitors.

The only catch is if you want the applications to start up atuomatically and launch in each monitor. You need to script that out so each instance knows where to pin itself.

0x0, 0x1920, 0x3840..etc.

Also a "catch", each instance counts as a licensed instance, only applicable if you are not using their unlimited model.

With Ignition you can actually open windows in the same project on different monitors.
There's a neat bit of user provided code on the forum for it.

Spanning across two or more monitors is an operating system and video card function. All you have to do is configure the Windows desktop for two or more monitors. You can have the HMI screen sized to span both montiors or you can configure different displays as separate windows instead as a single window with overlays and and place each window on a different monitor.

I've done it with RSView, FactoryTalkView, CiTect, and Ignition. Never needed anything special from the HMI software vendor.

Paully's5.0, I guess I don't care how it's done, it's more of functionality of two independent screen. So, stretching one screen to two is NOT my intention but rather two separately functioning graphics. So that when I change graphic on one screen it will not affect the other screen.

TConnolly, Thanks! Now that I think about it, most PC based HMIs supports multiple graphics. However, to have a single command/alarm/notication bar across multiple screen will be tricky.

One way I can think of is to make copy of graphics and give them extensions... so,

GraphicA-Screen1
GraphicA-Screen2
GraphicB-Screen1
GraphicB-Screen2
etc..

If I'm on Screen 2 and select Graphic B, GraphicB-Screen2 then replace whatever graphic that's on Screen 2.

Ignition indeed would be simpler since it just use browser so one can just spawn multiple instance of the browser but I will probably be forced into iFix on a upcoming project.

I belive that with iFix you will need to use a Server with multiple Viewers to have one application with independent function from each viewer. The Server and Viewers are licensed separately.

Similar would be true for WonderWare InTouch. You can only run a single instance at any given time. Plus you have to develop in the same resolution (well...some exceptions if you want to constantly "covert" your application). You would have to create screen sets for both monitors and script locations.

Not sure on System Platform, but I'm sure if you can do it, you'll pay additional licensing for it.

SCADA licensing....I'm THAT kid you see at the mall who's parents put them on a leash.

With GE Cimplicity, you can open multiple windows and position them on different monitors of a multi-monitor system. We have systems with two dual-output DisplayPort video cards, and connect 4 32" monitors to each. We can then open four individual graphics screens simultaneously. We have had good success with this setup. Once the workstation recognizes the multiple monitors (we are using XP or Win7) and they are configured for individual use (not strech or clone) it is relatively easy to get this going.

As Paully said, it is best to develop all your screens to the same resolution, and very advantageous to have the graphic size (aspect ratio) conform to the monitor size.

Last edited: