need advice w/ a compressed air flow switch to plc

gr8benwa

Project: install an air flow switch to monitor cfm and remote start one of 4 compressors ranging from 30cfm to 150cfm, depending on the demand needed. Can someone recommend an air flow switch that has analog output for a PLC. Thanks.

Are you sure you want to monitor air flow? Is this an air supply for air-actuated equipment like valves, pistons etc?

I would think controlling based on pressure would be a better option depending on what the air is being used for. Are these compressors fixed or variable speed?

To be technically correct, a "switch" is normally a point device. It's either on or off. What you really want is a flowmeter I'd suspect. For airflow, you could look at differential pressure using an orifice plate. But I would definitely consider using pressure as your process value.

I'm getting picky and crotchety in my old age, I guess. A switch has an on/off (discrete) output. An analog signal indicates a transmitter.

Dwyer, Eldridge Products, Sage Metering, and many other sources provide both. You can also look at Omega Engineering and McMaster Carr sites.

Hedland has many flow meter options to choose from, including the analog output. I have one that has been in service for a while now with no issues.

Dave