software for compactLogix

wjparker

Hi, New to the forum and to PLC's. I've just been tasked with learning how to program a machine and it's run by an Allen-Bradley compactLogix 1769-L32E. I have Factory talk and RSLinx. What other software is needed to "make it all work?" I've just completed 4 days of training by Automation Training so I know enough to be dangerous!

Last edited:
What course did you take with Automation Training? I am just curious because if you spent 4 days in training and don't know what software you need for an L32 processor, than I am thinking you may have taken the wrong course for your equipment.

(y)+10 for Automation Training

What course did you take with Automation Training? I am just curious because if you spent 4 days in training and don't know what software you need for an L32 processor, than I am thinking you may have taken the wrong course for your equipment.

(y)+10 for Automation Training
Yeah, no kidding!

But to be fair, maybe that was covered in the first half hour and he was 35 minutes late on the first day!
:confused:

Actually, much more likely is that, being that he has FT, the class was for learning FT and either someone didn't notice the prerequisite for knowing / having RSLogix 5000, or there was no prerequisite since FT can be used with any brand of PLC and it would be assumed that you already understood this. Typically if the instructor figured it out, they would have told him to come back later, but then there may have been too few students to make the class worth conducting, so he/she looked the other way and took the money. I have seen that happen.

Last edited:
In class we have all the fully-activated software with unrestricted licensing so the limits of each edition are easy to overlook.

I consider the RA feature matrix vs. Edition Name to be straightforward, but then I know it almost by heart.

If you're maintaining just one CompactLogix based system, get either the Mini or the Lite edition.

If the controller is programmed only in relay ladder logic routines, get Mini.

If other languages like Structured Text or Function Block were used, get the Lite edition.

I attended the Automation Training ControlLogix Modules 1-4. I was there for the whole presentation for four days. The instructor touched on the programming software but, i may have misunderstood thet you HAVE to have RSLogix 5000. We are not going to program that much (just conrtolling 1 R&D piece of equipment). Problem is, it's been programmed by the manufacturer and I have copies of factory talk and RSLinx but did not get (or can't find) the programming software RSLogix5000 or anything else for that matter.

Yes, you absolutely do need RSLogix 5000 to monitor or program any ControlLogix or CompactLogix controller.

The question folks were trying to answer was which Edition you needed.

RA sells the software in several different Editions to fit different user's needs, which is why there isn't just one price.

something else to consider ...

but did not get (or can't find) the programming software RSLogix5000 or anything else for that matter.

that "anything else" statement raises a red flag ...

I'm not trying to needlessly complicate this matter, but before you go any further (and spend any of your company's money), you really need to talk with the folks who originally built and programmed the machinery ...

big question:

do they mind if you "work on" the program for the machinery yourself? ...

the reason that I'm asking:

it is possible (not CERTAIN – but POSSIBLE) that the original programming company regards the program as their own "intellectual property" ... IF (big IF) that is the case, then it's also possible that they have protected the code with something along the lines of a password system ...

IF the code has indeed been password protected, then having a copy of the RSLogix5000 software will probably do you no good – since you probably won't be able to "log on" to the processor in the first place ...

best possible scenario (cross your fingers):

the original programmer will fully agree to your working on the code yourself – and they will be willing to give you a copy of the application file (.ACD extension) ...

a worse scenario:

the original programming company has "protected" the code – and considers it to be their own intellectual property ... in cases like this, the original programming company may regard any type of service to the machine as a "revenue stream" – and may expect to make money every time you need them to provide some type of additional service ...

so ...

once again, I suggest that you call them up and ask them for a copy of the project file ... see what they say ...

maybe you don't have a problem at all in this area – but then again, maybe you do ... I've seen companies before who have thrown quite a bit of money down the drain by not covering these types of details first ...

a simple mistake here could be very hard to explain to your boss ...

I understand your point completely. This was considered at the time the first course was taken. The company decided to take this first step to get a better idea of the complexity of the programming ect. and whether we wanted to attempt prograamming.

I do believe (but don't actually know) how the manufacturer would consider the program. This is a custom built machine and the "concept" of the program would be my company's idea. Of course the actual written program would be the manufacturer's. It is in the plans to contact the manufacturer for a copy of their program (once again written for us as we instructed). It will be interesting to see how it plays out as i am a "pawn" in this game between companies.LOL I came into this project in the middle so many things I should have known I wa never exposed to so I'm having to play "catch up".