PanelBuilder32 comm PanelView600

Neilgrimsley

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have been asked to upload an old/existing program from an obsolete PanelView600, using Panel Builder32 software, and dump it in another 600. I have the software and another PanelView600 to dump the program in whenever I can communicate between the units.
I am having communication problems. Do I need to use one of the old 1747-PIC modules to communicate? I have tried the AB R232 cable and tried to auto config as well as manual config with no luck. The PanelView is a 2711-B6C1 so it has RIO ... the comm port is the printer port as well. I could use some direction from someone that can remember how to do this ... thanks

Is there a printer attached to the RS232 port?

If not then it is probably still configured for AUX upload/download. If so you can use the RS232 DF1 Devices Driver and a straight thru cable to upload/download your program.

If not and you can get to the configuration screen you can change the AUX/Printer port to allow upload/download of the program.

Another option is to use a memory card. See pdf

Do I need to use one of the old 1747-PIC modules to communicate?

The 1747-PIC is for devices set for DH485 protocol only.

Last edited:
Right now, i'm trying to communicate with the New(?) panelview and there is no printer attached. When I go to the config screen, I have the choise of either enabling or disabling the printer. I have tried both ways with no plc communication. I go to RSLinx and try to set up the driver ... choise an R232 and try to auto config ... it fails. I try to manually set the parameters the same and no luck.

Check your cable it must be a straight thru.

Are you using a real serial port or a USB to serial adapter? Not all USB to serial adapters work.

Last edited: