Multi-position linear motion

Mots

Hi guys, I don't have a lot of experience with multi-position linear actuators and I am unsure of what would be the best/most economical solution for my application.

I need 2 of these actuators that will need to push an item anywhere between 0 and 4.5m length. The maximum required force would be about 400N. It doesn't need to be very precise, +/- a few mm precision will be more than enough.

I was thinking about a driven linear slide, but never used them before. Would there be anything else better for this application ? They will have to be controlled by a PLC.

Thanks for your input guys, I am pretty much a newbie regarding automation/actuators so your help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Doesn't have to be very fast, it will to be used once every 2 minutes. If it could do 1m/s that would be more than enough.

Thanks for your help.

4.5 meters - wow! Maybe you'll need to use a rotary servo or stepper device and chain drive a dog mounted to the chain to gain that kind of length?

Osmanmom, yes belt driven linear guide would be perfect for my project. When I click on your Parker link it brings me to the HPLA model, any reason for this model in particular ? From experience, would you know what kind of cost are involve for such an actuator ? Any benefit of going with the electrical rodless actuators instead of the belt driven ones ?

danatomega, yep, depending on the cost of these rodless actuators, this would probably be the most cost-efficient solution. What do you call a "dog" to be mounted on the chain ?

Cheers guys !

This stuff Belt Driven Linear Actuators ~ Standard from Parker are expensive i guest (always expensive) i give this example for your reference only due the length required.

if you can effort contact local rep.

for low/medium cost use the suggestion from danatomega

chain or belt,pulley/gear teeth,linear slider/straight rod steel.

Custom make.

i don't know your site environment.

check your mechanical/spec requirement work with mech engineer.

servo drive will be another long subject.