SEW 12 wire motor

SLaubach

Sorry, Not PLC related, but there is a lot of kowledge here. Over the weekend a mechanic had to replace a burnt motor, the replacement was a 12 wire for a 6 wire. once replace the motor would only run slow, the VFD was showing 10Hz vs the normal 70Hz.
the new motor was a "Motor voltage [V] / conn. type: 230/460 double delta/delta" The VFD supplies 460v

The motor was provided with 6 jumper bars and 3 jumper leads (they did not use the leads)

they had it connected like this:

7----4 10----3->L1
9----6 12----2->L2
8----5 11----1->L3

Ohming it out today, it looks like it should be connected like this:
7---4 1---12->L1
9---6 3---11->L2
8---5 2---10->L3
this would make a true delta configuration.

where am i going wrong?

The original motor was a 1 stage run connected to a VFD. Are you saying this motor is for a 2 stage starter? Or can i connect for single stage run from the VFD?

more info from the SEW Android app...

Technical data

AC motor
DRP180LC4/FI/V
Mounting position: B3
Construction Date: 2011

CE mark: X 1 DRP
motor speed [r/min]: 1780
Mounting position: B3
Motor-voltage [V]: 230/460
Connection type: 003
Design confirmation: CO_DESIGN_ST 0 0
motor speed [r/min]: 1780
Motor power [kW]: 22
Motor frequency [Hz]: 60
Cyclic duration factor S1-S10: S1
Motor voltage [V] / conn. type: 230/460 double delta/delta
Rated current [A]: 69,00 / 34,50
cos phi: 0,86
Thermal cl.[°C]/Enclosure[IP]: 155(F) / 55
International efficiency class: IE3
Efficiency (100% Pn) [%]: 93,6
Design requirements: USA (UR) /Canada (CSA)
K.V.A.code: K
Design: NEMA C starting torque
Ambient temperature min. [°C]: -20
Ambient temperature max. [°C]: 40
Nameplate (sets per unit): 1 set of nameplates
Nameplate: English / Laser stainless steel
Nameplate text input: 1 line for US no.
Part number 1st nameplate: 01885723
Nameplate text: 108338 KAMAN
Max. temperature (unit): +40

PER SEW-
the motor should have ran the way it was wired
7----4 10----3->L1
9----6 12----2->L2
8----5 11----1->L3
they said i need to adjust the power factor and eff on the powerflex 70.

does this make sense to anyone?

I agree that it looked like wiring was correct (according to the SEW documentation I could find) and the fact that your VFD said 10Hz sounds like VFD parameters are off.

Last edited:
I agree that it looked like wiring was correct and the fact that your VFD said 10Hz sounds like VFD parameters are off.

which parameters, looking at the powerflex manual i dont see the PF and EFF the SEW rep spoke of. They may be available in a MoviDrive but not on the A-B???

I would try an auto-tuning procedure (see parameter 61 in the user manual) - rotating if possible (with load disconnected) but you could also select a non-rotating auto-tune.
You're correct that PF and EFF don't seem to be available parameters.