Attention abb guru's

Buzzen

I have an L7 logix controller. I am trying to communicate with an AB ACS500 with a RETA-01 card ethernet interface. I have downloaded the EDS files and the ADD_ON instructions.I want to use the 100/101 I/O instances. The problem is: when a add a new module to the ethernet tree it keeps telling me that the instances size are wrong for the I/O. Anyone else have the same problem. It actually is kicking the program off with error.

Thanks,
Buzz

Which version of RSLogix 5000 are you running ?

Are you choosing the Generic Ethernet Module object, or the EDS-based Add-On-Profile for the RETA-01 ?

What is the exact text of the error message ?

I have never seen an EDS-based AOP from an RA competitor work correctly, so I don't even bother with them. If there are instructions for using the ordinary Generic Ethernet Module with the RETA-01, use that.

Logix ver.20
As far as the Reta-01 was concerned I thought you had to install the Add-On instructions and use the Generic ethernet module. I have never done this so any recommendation would be better than what I have done. I could get you the error message I would have to go and try it. I didnt write it down.

There are a handful of things that might be getting confused here.

Add-On Instructions (AOI) are little packaged routines that you can call from your ControlLogix program. While they are sometimes used to configure or scale or manage third party devices, they are not part of the I/O tree configuration.

Add-On Profiles (AOP) are a way to get a new device into the available I/O module lists when you're creating the I/O tree.

When RA releases a new device, they typically have an AOP you can install in older releases of RSLogix 5000 to make that device available. These 'native' AOPs have an installation wizard of their own. RA partner companies like Prosoft often get help creating and testing AOPs so they work just like Rockwell's own.

In v20, RA introduced a new method for creating and managing AOPs that used a special section in the EDS file instead of a traditional native AOP installer. When you registered the EDS file, the "EDS-Based AOP" was created in RSLogix 5000 and the new device was available in the I/O tree.

It's these EDS-based AOPs that haven't been successful, in my experience. In every case I worked on, the Support people from the third party had either never heard of the technology or had no information on how it was supposed to work.

ABB's drive interfaces are really very good, but they may not have a working EDS-based AOP either.

If you are entering the Instance numbers, it sounds like you are using the good old Generic Ethernet Module object, which has been simple and reliable for a long time.

Grab that error message and we can start working from there.

If you are using the Generic Ethernet Module object, the EDS file is immaterial. It will help the device be identified in RSLinx Classic browsing, but has nothing to do with the configuration or connection or operation of the EtherNet/IP connection between the ControlLogix and the RETA-01.

Unfortunately that's a total crash of RSLogix 5000 so all I can suggest is to follow the instructions to send the crash log to Tech Support.

You might try "backing out" of whatever configuration dead-end RSLogix 5000 has gotten into by saving the project as a *.L5K file, closing RSLogix 5000, and then using RSLogix 5000 to re-open the *.L5K under a different name.

RSLogix 5000 should then re-create a *.ACD file for the project, minus any sort of mis-configured AOPs or other software conflicts.

Last edited:
Okay here is an update: ABB put out instructions on how to set-up an ACS550 drive to a AB network. Those instructions I found out to be wrong. The way I did it I right clicked the ethernet path that I wanted the drive to be on, then I clicked the Discover Module instead of New Module. Low and behold the IP address for the drive showed up. Then the user needs to add how many words they have and any other stuff they want. That is how I did it. Did anyone else have the same outcome?