Pulse encoder wiring (shielding)

allscott

So what is the best way? Encoder end of PLC grounded?

In most of my experience it doesn't matter but I have an installation were it obviously does.

According to BEI (encoder brand), shield must be floating on encoder side and connected to ground at the receiving electronics. Taken from Industrial Encoders for dummies.

According to BEI (encoder brand), shield must be floating on encoder side and connected to ground at the receiving electronics. Taken from Industrial Encoders for dummies.

So why do most encoders have a hook up for the shield at the encoder plug? Is that actually hooked up to anything or is it floating?

So why do most encoders have a hook up for the shield at the encoder plug? Is that actually hooked up to anything or is it floating?

If your situation prevents you from mechanically connecting the shield on the 'preferred' end, the encoder is designed to allow you to still connect at the encoder end. It ensures there is at least one end with the shield earthed.
For example, the cabinet on the receiving end may be too small, may be non-conductive, may have gland requirements that prevent the shield connection (explosion proof), or may simply have no remaining provisions to connect the shield. So a well-designed field device will allow you to make that shield connection at the field connection.

If your situation prevents you from mechanically connecting the shield on the 'preferred' end, the encoder is designed to allow you to still connect at the encoder end. It ensures there is at least one end with the shield earthed.
For example, the cabinet on the receiving end may be too small, may be non-conductive, may have gland requirements that prevent the shield connection (explosion proof), or may simply have no remaining provisions to connect the shield. So a well-designed field device will allow you to make that shield connection at the field connection.

Thank you, that makes sense.