Writing 2D Array to RSL5k

rechrist87

Hi.

I am trying to log a large data table into a 2 dimensional array from Control logix. I have been able to successfully load single dimension arrays for both read/write but I will get a #Ref fault when reading the 2-dimension. Below is my sample code for the VB script.
Code:
Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

rslinx = OpenRSLinx()

'Loop through reading the CLX array tags and put the values into the cells
    For i = 0 To 73
    For a = 0 To 73
    Data1 = DDERequest(rslinx, "Allergen_CodeTable[" & i & " , " & a & "],L1,C1")
    'iF THERE IS AN ERROR, DISPLAY A MESSAGE BOX
        If TypeName(realData) = "Error" Then
        If MsgBox("Error reading tag Allergen_CodeTable[" & i & " , " & a & "]. " & _
                "Continue with Read?", vbYesNo + vbExclamation, _
                "Error") = vbNo Then Exit For
        Else
           'No error, place data in cell
          DDEPoke rslinx, "Allergen_CodeTable[" & i & " , " & a & "]", Cells(3 + i, 3 + a)

End If
    Next a
    Next i
'Terminate RSLinx
DDETerminate rslinx

End Sub

It looks to me like your DDERequest command is incomplete - there is no reference as to where to put the data in the spreadsheet. Shouldn't it read something like?

Data1 = DDERequest(rslinx, "Allergen_CodeTable[" & i & " , " & a & "],L1,C1")
Cells (10, i) = Data1

Steve

It looks like it's doing the read just to verify the address exists in the PLC before attempting the write. The results of the read, other than success/fail, are not important.

I was trying not to post my entire code, and was using snippets. The main objective is to write a 2-dim array from an excel with starting location (r3,c3) file into tag "Allergen_CodeTable[0,0]". I used the DDRequest for an intermediate step for troubleshooting to see if the code was accessing the file. I have seen little blurbs about this working, but never actually confirmed.

I am looking for a DDERequest and DDEPoke command that will successfully write/read to/from an excel file into a 2D array. I have looked through the forum and the following structure did not appear to work:
Code:
For a=0 to 1
For i=0 to 3
Data=DDErequest(rslinx, real_data["&a&","&i&"],L1,C1)
*error
*Cell(1#,2#)
next i
next a